Hops similar to simcoe

Ok so i found that simcoe hops are my favorite and from what i read they are a brand name rather then a variety…I looked around to try and get my hands on some rhizomes but i dont think they are available cause they are a trademark hop…anyway can someone tell me what variety is similar to simcoe and where to get the rhizomes…thank you

Simcoe is pretty unique and yes, it’s proprietary (like Amarillo) so you can’t buy a rhizome. A blend of hops could get you in the ballpark, something with the same mix of dank, pine, and citrus and tropical fruits - maybe Chinook, Centennial, and Citra?

Right on thanks

I’d say Columbus is in the ballpark of Simcoe.

[quote=“Denny”]I’d say Columbus is in the ballpark of Simcoe.[/quo

Can you buy columbus rhizomes?

Right on thanks[/quote]

The growers of simcoe and amarillo could make a fortune if they released a limited amount of rhizomes.

[quote=“mattbrew83”][quote=“Denny”]I’d say Columbus is in the ballpark of Simcoe.[/quo

Can you buy columbus rhizomes?[/quote][/quote]

You can’t buy Columbus since it’s proprietary but you can buy Zeus, which is the same thing. Go figure…

Right on thanks[/quote]

The growers of simcoe and amarillo could make a fortune if they released a limited amount of rhizomes.[/quote]

When is someone going to sneek into some hop farm and get me simcoe rhizome? hehehehehheee…

I bought columbus and zeus this year. I bought 2 columbus and 1 zeus from great lakes hops their not rhizomes but dorment crowns

[quote=“Rookie L A”]

The growers of simcoe and amarillo could make a fortune if they released a limited amount of rhizomes.[/quote]

They’d be shooting themselves in the foot? Those few rhizomes can QUICKLY turn into a hop farm in the right hands. More acreage of Simcoe & Amarillo mean lower prices for those hops. Lower prices mean less return for the growers. I think they’re pretty happy with their returns right where they’re at.

The good news is that I saw from Select Botanicals Group that 390 additional acres of Simcoe are being planted!

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“mattbrew83”][quote=“Denny”]I’d say Columbus is in the ballpark of Simcoe.[/quo

Can you buy columbus rhizomes?[/quote][/quote]

You can’t buy Columbus since it’s proprietary but you can buy Zeus, which is the same thing. Go figure…[/quote]

Are you sure about that? I had bought a Columbus rhizome last year from Midwest, unless they were selling it as Columbus and actually delivering Zeus. Either way, it’s still awesome :slight_smile:

[quote=“GarretD”]
When is someone going to sneek into some hop farm and get me simcoe rhizome? hehehehehheee…[/quote]

Hehehe… I had a similar conversation with the guy at YakimaValleyHops about that last year…

Maybe I missed it and Columbus has been released now.

[quote=“B-Hoppy”][quote=“Rookie L A”]

They’d be shooting themselves in the foot? Those few rhizomes can QUICKLY turn into a hop farm in the right hands. More acreage of Simcoe & Amarillo mean lower prices for those hops. Lower prices mean less return for the growers. I think they’re pretty happy with their returns right where they’re at.

The good news is that I saw from Select Botanicals Group that 390 additional acres of Simcoe are being planted![/quote]

As far as I can tell all the other varieties of hops that have available rhizome still sell a lot of the actual hops. I don’t think any cascade farmers went under because cascade rhizomes are for sale.
They’d actually make a sale to me. I redid some recipes to use non amarillo hops when they became hard to find and I don’t plan to switch back, but would buy a rhizome if I could.

one of the IPA’s we brew is all simcoe hops. when we began to run out, we tried to replicate it with a blend of chinook and the remaining simcoe. About a 40/60 (chinook/simcoe). The beer turned out very different.

We haven’t found a good replacement, and decided to stop brewing it until fall when we can get more. Unfortunately I dont think there’s a good replacement.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“B-Hoppy”][quote=“Rookie L A”]

The good news is that I saw from Select Botanicals Group that 390 additional acres of Simcoe are being planted![/quote]

As far as I can tell all the other varieties of hops that have available rhizome still sell a lot of the actual hops. I don’t think any cascade farmers went under because cascade rhizomes are for sale.
They’d actually make a sale to me. I redid some recipes to use non amarillo hops when they became hard to find and I don’t plan to switch back, but would buy a rhizome if I could.[/quote]

It all pretty much comes down to supply and demand. When Cascade was developed (1970-'71?), no one wanted it, so why would a grower grow a hop that he couldn’t sell? Cascade, like a majority of the other varieties on the market, are all public domain due to the fact that they were mostly bred by government agencies (funded by US and the brewing industry) so anyone who wanted to grow them could. The new proprietary varieties were bred with funds from individuals, or groups of individuals who now want a return on their investment and can control how many acres of those varieties that are planted. When the demand for those privately owned varieties begins to decline, they have the option to reduce the acreage in order to help keep the price up.
But believe you me, I’d be rooting through the burn pile looking for a couple intact rhizomes!