Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Hops Freak Out!

Has anyone noticed that hops are going so fast this year? I can’t even find the most basic of varieties in 1lbs portions anymore! Could anyone see centennial just selling out by the holidays? Tell me that I am a fool to buy large quantities in 1 oz. packages. Please share any leads to sellers with hops still available. Thanks!

Hopsdirect.com still has quite a few varietes by the lb in pellets. Freshops.com still has a lot in leaf form.

I wouldnt argue that they are going fast but at least the prices are ridiculous like the great shortage of 07.

Personally I am just looking for a lb or so of Simcoe and my freezer should be good until next year.

A commercial brewer I know told me over the summer that there was going to be a major centennial shortage this year. I can’t remember the exact reason but some major grower screwed something up I think. Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe are always in short supply. I don’t think it was necessarily a bad harvest year - just a lot of demand on some varieties.

Sounds like a good year to start trying out other hops.

I bought a pound of “Super Galena” just for that purpose. It’s been quite a while since I’ve used Galena but if memory servers me right they weren’t too bad for pale ales & stouts… Cheers, and Happy Brewing!!!

I’d love to know what the reason was…I find it a little hard to believe a grower screwed something up. The major fields don’t really do a whole lot to the hops when they are growing.

I appreciate the thought that “maybe it is time to try brewing with other hops,” but you can’t deny the fact that a variety such as centennial, being almost gone by December is pretty troubling. 90% of the beers that I brew usually call for 4 to 6 oz. of centennial and there is no precise substitute. I realize that there are a few varieties that come close, but that simply changes the whole profile of house favorites. Hope that more come available in the coming months…all we have to do is wait until some of the larger commercial breweries adjust there inventories and needs for those depleted varieties.

If you’re going through that much Centennial, then you should plant a couple hills! My Cents are notorious for sending out far-reaching shoots. One year I uprooted the long shoots back to the crown and planted about 8 in a new hill. They reached full height (15 feet) in one summer and produced a few cones.

I had to uproot and transplant all of my hops to a new location two summers ago. This year, my single Centennial crown gave me over 21 oz of dried cones, which are phenomenal. I also ended up with 43 oz of Zeus from one plant! My Cascades gave me 26 oz.

If you’re using lots of these hops for aroma/flavor/dry-hopping, you really should just grow your own. It’s very rewarding.

On it brother. I just planted Centennials this past Spring and hope for a decent crop 2012!

Hey El Captain. I used to have an account up in Alexandria when I used to rep for Burton Snowboards. I can’t think of the name of the shop but I think the owner was Michael Priest. Anything ring a bell for you? Anyway, I remember that place being pretty remote and the shop owner was a real character.

Always a good thing to do and it’s a good way to hedge your bets when substitutions become necessary. I have my favorite hops (and fortunately they’re not the popular and fashionable ones, so I rarely have trouble getting them…though I fear that my faves are being planted less and less). But at times have had to temporarily substitute. As long as you can recalculate your hopping rates based using the AAUs as a reference, the substitutions are quite often hardly noticeable, especially on the bittering side of things…and I’ve yet to get a downright disappointing result from substitution. I’m not saying that there will be NO differences, but the differences are sometimes surprisingly subtle…more subtle than some would have you believe.

Flavor and Aroma hops are, of course, a completely different story. That’s where the biggest differences will result. But then, therein lies the adventure!

Name’s not ringing a bell for me. Alexandria is one of the weirdest places in that it’s a fairly small city, but I can run all over town and not really run into many people I know.

Give those hops some good attention and you won’t be disappointed. I recommend building a worm bin and cranking out as much vermicompost as you can during the off-season. That stuff is gold.

GT-

If you are looking for new varieties to try, maybe give Falconers Flight and Zythos blend a shot, both are for sale on NB right meow.

Just got 6 oz of Zythos this morning.

Pretty sure I will be using them heavy and late! 8)

Good Luck

I think I obtained mini hop hoarder status and ordered 2 lb of FF but merely 6oz of Zythos blend. And yes, i def see some heavy and late additions also.

I’m really impressed with NB hop selection. They have pounds of Citra leaf and pounds of Centenial in leaf and pellets. To bad I can only fit so many hops in my kettle.

I just panicked and bought 12 ounces amarillo, 8 ounces simcoe, 4 ounces warrior, and 3 ounces falconer’s flight.

Wish I could buy by the lb, but I don’t have the ability to re-seal after opening.

Next item on my wish list is a food sealer, and a digital scale it sounds like.

Hopsdirect is already out of amarillo and centennial until fall 2012…wtf???

Hops Direct was a friend of mine this fall. :smiley:

3 lb Amarillo
1 lb Centennial
1 lb CITRA 8)
1 lb Columbus
1 lb Ultra

Along with the 2 lb of Simcoe from Fresh Hops. :smiley:

Should keep me in business for the year.

Good Luck & Enjoy

[quote=“n8young”]I just panicked and bought 12 ounces amarillo, 8 ounces simcoe, 4 ounces warrior, and 3 ounces falconer’s flight.

Wish I could buy by the lb, but I don’t have the ability to re-seal after opening.

Hopsdirect is already out of amarillo and centennial until fall 2012…wtf???[/quote]

That’s only enough for one batch!

[quote=“fimbrew”][quote=“n8young”]I just panicked and bought 12 ounces amarillo, 8 ounces simcoe, 4 ounces warrior, and 3 ounces falconer’s flight.

Hopsdirect is already out of amarillo and centennial until fall 2012…wtf???[/quote]

That’s only enough for one batch![/quote]

I don’t brew a ton, nor do I have a ton of money, so that was enough hops for 4 brews of my favorite IPA, with some falconer’s flight thrown in there to mess around with.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com