Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Hoppy Mess

I am making the Furious kit, and have already racked to secondary. I added the dry hops per the directions. I haven’t looked at my beer for almost 2 weeks, and tonight I went for a look. The hops are on top of the beer and at the bottom. Basically it looks like soup. Now I talked to a friend, and he said I should have used a bag and marbles. Well… to late for all that. My question is, how am I gonna make this beer sediment free(ish) now when I put it in the keg? Also has anyone else made this beer kit? I added the hops when I racked, how long after that should I wait to proceed to kegging?

This is my second beer, and the first isn’t done yet either, so yea, Im real new at this.

I don’t suggest dry hopping over a week. Longer can lead to “grassy” flavors. This is a simple solution. Rack below the hops on top and above the hops/sediment on the bottom.

Get the beer as cold as possible and that will help drop the hops.

So re-rack the secondary and leave as much hops behind as possible. Then let it sit for a couple more weeks? The hops have been in there since the 11th. Do i next time rack to secondary, wait a week or so, then add hops (in a bag this time for a week)?

Depending on the type of beer you are brewing I typically rack to my secondary after a week or two of it being in the primary. Let the beer sit in the secondary for a couple weeks then dry hop in a bag about 6 days before bottling / kegging .

I have a new trick I read somewhere or just dreamed up…

Go to home depot and get 1 gallon paint strainer bags…cut a chuck out large enough to put over the bottom of the racking cane and attach with a rubber band. I believe it really helps for a clearer beer when I rack to the bottling bucket and I dry hop with pellets.

I wish I had a picture, but I don’t, but I’m sure you get what I mean. If not let me know and I’ll take one.

$1 panty hose should work also for straining hops out.

You are going to lose a fair bit of beer to the hops, done the Furious kit twice and there is no way around it given the massive load of dry hops. I’d agree with the advice given, cold crash if at all possible, all the hops will drop to the bottom of the carboy and then carefully rack with some sort of straining method. I carefully racked without a strainer into a keg without issue but using one might help you get a bit more beer. :cheers:

Have you ever had this happen or are you saying that because you heard or read it somewhere?

Pantyhose, paint strainer bag, or just a plain old muslin bag from the brew store. Any would help you achieve your desired goal. If you’re really a freak about it you could rack this into another secondary, let that settle for a bit and then keg it. I am kind of wishing I took that route on a Beligian IPA I made because I’m sucking a lot of hop material out of the keg right now.

I have converted to the panty hose technique and couldn’t be happier with the results.

dry hop with out the mess.

Thanks for all the reply’s, Im sure a bunch of you were on edge a bit your first time brewing too, and wanted it to come out right!
I dont wanna sound like such a noob, but when I use the filtering, do you wrap it around the cane, or the hose? Im going to put it right into its final resting place (the keg) when I do this. Im guessing hose.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but Im learning.
Thanks again

[quote=“GarretD”]I have a new trick I read somewhere or just dreamed up…

Go to home depot and get 1 gallon paint strainer bags…cut a chuck out large enough to put over the bottom of the racking cane and attach with a rubber band. I believe it really helps for a clearer beer when I rack to the bottling bucket and I dry hop with pellets.

I wish I had a picture, but I don’t, but I’m sure you get what I mean. If not let me know and I’ll take one.[/quote]

+1 Or just get cheese cloth from Walmart and zip tie it to the bottom of the racking cane…

[quote=“Knowname72”]Thanks for all the reply’s, Im sure a bunch of you were on edge a bit your first time brewing too, and wanted it to come out right!
I dont wanna sound like such a noob, but when I use the filtering, do you wrap it around the cane, or the hose? Im going to put it right into its final resting place (the keg) when I do this. Im guessing hose.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but Im learning.
Thanks again[/quote]

I put mine on the bottom of the cane that goes into the carboy.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com