Hopbursted Imperial IPA - Add more yeast prior to bottling?

Two months ago, I brewed the 115th Dream Hopbursted Imperial IPA. I used a 1000 ML yeast starter kit with Wyeast and the O.G. was a whopping 1.102. Four days later, the gravity reading was 1.020. When I re-racked, I ended up with only 4 gallons left since the pound of hops soaked up so much brew. My buddy TC tells me that many people end up with this batch turning out flat since the yeast are not able to properly carbonate due to all the fermentation in this big beer. I picked up a pack of Safale US-05 Dry Yeast and am thinking about adding some to the carboy and letting it sit for another week OR adding some to the bottling bucket on bottling day OR just stirring up a little of the bottom yeast/sediment just prior to bottling. Not sure what the best bet is. Northern Brewer told me to use only about 1/4 of the dry yeast to avoid bottle explosion. Since I only have 4 gallons, I’m thinking maybe even less. Not really sure what to do, and am hoping I could get a little feedback on the issue. Thanks!

I’d add a quarter of the pack at bottling time. make sure it is well mixed into the beer (but don’t splash/aerate!)… rehydrating the yeast should help with that.

Just a heads up, you underpitched. Even if the yeast was brand new, you should have made a 2.5L starter with one pack of yeast for a beer that big. Unless you used 2 packs of yeast in a 1L starter which would have been ok too. I’m sure your beer will come out ok especially considering the attenuation you got, but in the future you should reference Mr.Malty for the proper starter size and pitching rate.

Yeah Ry Guy…that “TC” friend of yours sound like he knows what he is talking about.

Be sure that you only prime the batch for 4 gallons and not 5 to avoid bottle explosion. The amount of sugar you use to prime causes bottle bombs, not the amount of yeast. Wait until you bottle to add the yeast. It would serve no purpose adding it now.

[quote=“mvsawyer”]
Be sure that you only prime the batch for 4 gallons and not 5 to avoid bottle explosion. The amount of sugar you use to prime causes bottle bombs, not the amount of yeast. Wait until you bottle to add the yeast. It would serve no purpose adding it now.[/quote]

That is excellent advise. Seems like you had a really good fermentation but something tells me that TC has some pretty good experience with this beer.

Thanks for the feedback.