Hop utilization and fermenter sugar addition question

I have 2 questions, the first one is, will adding sugar to fermenter effect hop utilization and lower IBU’s in finished product? second question is how many OG points does sugar add?..I am about to brew a BGSA and im gonna add the sugar to the fermenter about 3-4 days in…The og before the sugar addition should be around 1052-1056 and i will be adding about 3 lbs of sugar will this bring me to the 8-8.5 % abv range if i get high attenuation 80-90% ?..Its my quest to make a great BGSA so your input will be appreciated

Hop utilization is talking about hops in the boil. So no, adding sugar during fermentation will not change that. It will, however change the IBU:GU ratio.

1# of sugar is 1.047ppg or roughly 1.009 in 5 gallons, or 1%ABV

The rule of thumb is not to exceed 20% of the fermentables from plain sugar.
Sugar is fully fermentable so you can assume 100% attenuation.

If it were my recipe I wouldn’t add more than 1# (1.5# tops) to keep the recipe less than 20% sugar.

[quote=“mvsawyer”]Hop utilization is talking about hops in the boil. So no, adding sugar during fermentation will not change that. It will, however change the IBU:GU ratio.

1# of sugar is 1.047ppg or roughly 1.009 in 5 gallons, or 1%ABV

The rule of thumb is not to exceed 20% of the fermentables from plain sugar.
Sugar is fully fermentable so you can assume 100% attenuation.

If it were my recipe I wouldn’t add more than 1# (1.5# tops) to keep the recipe less than 20% sugar.[/quote]

Cool thanks…i thought it was alot of sugar myself… For this recipe its 21%

[quote=“mattbrew83”] For this recipe its 21%[/quote]If you’re adding 27 points of sugar to a 1.054 OG beer, the sugar contribution to the final gravity is 27 / (27+54) = 33%.