Hop tea vs pellets

Does it makes a big difference. A hop tea. Or pellets. During. Dry hop. Only. Advantage. I think. If you do dryhop. Into the keg. Not so much hop particals. If you make a hop tea

You’d just steep the hops, pull out the hops, dump the tea water only in? I wonder how much oils are left behind? But then, up the amount?
Sneezles61

With all the discussion about how long you actually need to dry hop I’m wondering about soaking the hops in vodka for 24 hours and then dump that in.

Not a fan of spirits… I think the “tea” sounds solid…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

I’ve done a vodka tincture extraction it works very well but is kinda off at the same time

Can you expand on “off” please? Does it mess with the hop character?

1 Like

I only did it once and steeped in vodka for a whole week. I remember the bitter being very pronounced at the detriment of everything else and the vodka taste being too obvious

Thanks! My DH times are getting shorter with 48 - 72 hrs being max. I’m going to give a 24 hour soak a try. I’ll keep the vodka to a minimum.

1 Like

I’ve reduced my DH times to 3 days at room temp. Didn’t see any advantage in going longer. When I do a double or triple DH I only do the last one in the keg so I’ve never really experienced an issue with to much hop debris.

I’m with @dannyboy58 and only do 3 days max at room temp. I dry hop in keg in muslin bags and I leave the bags in for the duration. It’s very rare I have issues with hop sediment (although I did have some issues with my two double IPA’s on tap this summer once or twice). Only tinctures I use are for vanilla and I use beans in bourbon for that.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

When I DH I go 3 days into the future and put the hops directly into the beer my future self will be drinking. Sure I risk the whole space-time continuum but it’s worth it.

4 Likes

Must be some awesome brews right there Squeegee… :grin:
Sneezles61

I blew out the flux capacitor on my keezer so I’m somewhat limited to the whole “now” timeframe.

3 Likes

You might want to play around with time dilation then by storing your beer in orbit. Not as effective but still tasty.

1 Like