Hop storage life

If I keep an unopened bag of hops in the freezer does anyone know about how long it will stay fresh for? I have a few bags that are approaching about a year in age.

Thanks

I don’t have a specific answer, but a long time. Especially if unopened and in the freezer. I’m still using 2011 & 2012 hops (for bittering) that have been opened. I always vacuum seal them and put right back in the freezer. I haven’t noticed any issues yet.

EDIT: If they look good (green, not yellow or brown) and smell good, they should be fine. They should also be pretty tight and not crumble to dust.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. The last bag I opened looked good but I just thought I would double check.

I had some amarillo hops last over five years in the freezer.

I can see this easily. I have never had American hops last over 1-2 years, but would not blink an eye at a few years+ especially if vac packed and frozen.

I have over a half pound of Boadicea from back during the 2008 hop “shortage” as I delved into some unknown strains at that time and used some recently and they were good as new.

Now if left open to environs in the freezer for months to years they will rapidly oxidize and freezer burn if not vac’ed or purged with inert gas and sealed well.

Edit** also I just bought a pound of Hallertau Mittlefruh from hops direct that was from the 2012 harvest and they just had AA% done on them recently and it was exactly the same from when first placed in the freezer in their purged/ sealed packaging. I just tapped a Helles made with them and all was as expected in AA% and aroma/flavor.

I can see this easily. I have never had American hops last over 1-2 years, but would not blink an eye at a few years+ especially if vac packed and frozen.

I have over a half pound of Boadicea from back during the 2008 hop “shortage” as I delved into some unknown strains at that time and used some recently and they were good as new.

Now if left open to environs in the freezer for months to years they will rapidly oxidize and freezer burn if not vac’ed or purged with inert gas and sealed well.

Edit** also I just bought a pound of Hallertau Mittlefruh from hops direct that was from the 2012 harvest and they just had AA% done on them recently and it was exactly the same from when first placed in the freezer in their purged/ sealed packaging. I just tapped a Helles made with them and all was as expected in AA% and aroma/flavor.[/quote]

Good to know. I usually burn through a few lbs of American C hops and a lb or two of noble hops every year, but I’ve been using the same Magnum and Nugget hops for bittering for 2+ years now. I haven’t had anything tested, but also haven’t noticed any issues. They look, smell, feel good.

Take a few pellets and leave them sit out for a few weeks. Then compare them to your frozen, vacuum sealed hops. You’ll see the difference.

.[/quote]

I bought these before I had a vacuum sealer. I split the pound up into two ounce packs. I put the two ounces in a baggie then wrapped them tightly in tinfoil and then put them in a ziplock freezer bag. I squeezed out as much of the air as I could and put them in the freezer.

.[/quote]

I bought these before I had a vacuum sealer. I split the pound up into two ounce packs. I put the two ounces in a baggie then wrapped them tightly in tinfoil and then put them in a ziplock freezer bag. I squeezed out as much of the air as I could and put them in the freezer.[/quote]

That should help, but just like beer, oxygen and light is what stales hops.