Hop Growing Thread 2018

Your just going to become one heckuva hop farmer… right in the urban sense! My Williamette would barely even grow! Sneezles61

1 Like

Hop update

3 Likes

I may even try my hand at growing hops here(east central Florida) soon, just for the novelty of it. Denny and Drew interviewed a guy from North Central Florida who is working with UF on hops as a crop in Florida.

Despite our moniker, “the Sunshine State”, the shorter days during Summer here relative to the far north limit bine production to about a third of say, Washington state or Idaho. Who knew?

The tradeoff is Florida may be able to have three separate growing seasons for hops, which could be a factor in making this a viable crop.
I just think they would look cool :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Now look up how to build an oast… Sneezles61

Tried to upload pictures but couldn’t. Cascades did well this year.

1 Like

How much sunlight do you get in that spot?

8+ hours

It previously showed “uploading” which usually indicates that you hit the reply button before the pics showed on screen. Try it again, but wait for the pics to be visible.

2 Likes

Yay internet!!!

@brew_cat, that is a beautiful picture! I can almost smell the hops and hear the birds.

Just about ready to pick.
Deck photo.

2 Likes

They look very happy right there! And how will you dry them? Sneezles61

I have built a wooden structure with Box Fan on the bottom with stack-able screens for the various hops.
Will send pictures a bit later. Run it for 24 hours or so in garage (hot area) then vacuum seal the hops, weigh them then into the Beer Frig Freezer.

1 Like

Built your own last huh? Nice work!

Thanks @sneezles. That is oast. Not last.

Did you mean Oast? I saw that autocorrect tried to change my word… Sneezles61

:joy: that’s exactly what I meant. Stupid me for using my phone which is hard enough to see let alone the stupid autocorrect that likes no words in Brewing scene!

1 Like

Vienna IPL day with Mexican Lager Yeast WLP940

1 Like

So your pulling the air through the screens? Just a thought… When they are dry they may just blow all over? Maybe? Sneezles61