Hop Growing Question

I have some hops rhizomes in my fridge. I want to make sure survive until I can get them in the ground, but that spot is not quite ready.

Can I just plant them out in the muddy garden right now and then move them later this spring after I have my hop garden prepared? Any issues with moving them later on?

They will begin to grow if you plant them now and the roots will be delicate. Don’t get me wrong – I think you should do it but just be real careful when you dig them up again. It’s either that or the refrigerator. Personally I’d get them in the ground and keep them watered – moist but not soaked.

I think I’d use pots instead. That way you’d have less injury to the new roots in the subsequent transplanting.

And of course getting your final place ready now would be the best by far.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]I think I’d use pots instead. That way you’d have less injury to the new roots in the subsequent transplanting.

And of course getting your final place ready now would be the best by far.[/quote]

I think using the compostable pots that the roots grow through would be a good idea. You wouldn’t have to transplant them, just bury the pot part way.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“tom sawyer”]I think I’d use pots instead. That way you’d have less injury to the new roots in the subsequent transplanting.

And of course getting your final place ready now would be the best by far.[/quote]

I think using the compostable pots that the roots grow through would be a good idea. You wouldn’t have to transplant them, just bury the pot part way.[/quote]

+1 on the compostable pots. I got my rhizomes early this year and got them in pots immediately (one plant is already 4’ tall). When I transplanted them I broke roots and shoots. I wish I would have thought to use a pot you can bury when planting.

I would definitely put them in pots for now as opposed to planting them, digging them out of the ground and moving them later and risking root damage by digging them out. I pot mine in Miracle Grow Potting Soil. When you’re ready to remove them from the pots and plant them, just place your hand over the top of the pot with the baby hop plant between your fingers so you don’t crush it, and flip the pot upside down. The whole root structure including the potting soil will pop right out retaining the shape of the pot without disturbing it at all. Then just plop that sucker into a predug hole about the same size as the pot, water it in, and you’re good to go. Saves the trouble of trying to find compostable pots, and it works great. That’s how I do it anyway.

My Cascades are already producing hop cones btw… It’s almost freaky!

In my experience the compostable pots do not break down as well as I would like, leading to rootbound plants. This may not be an issue with hops since their root systems are so vigorous, but I usually end up cutting an X across the bottom of the pot (or cutting it off entirely) and slitting the sides when I transplant from them. Also, make sure the top lip of the pot is completely underground, otherwise it will just wick away moisture from the roots.

I use these a lot when growing tomato plants from seeds and have found the same. I too just tear away the bottom of the pot. Maybe not necessary; but certainly makes me feel better.