Hop Extract

So I was looking to do a Pliny the Younger Clone and most clones I see online are adding 35mls of Hop Extract at 90 mins and then another 5 mls at 45 mins, is it just me or does that seem like a crazy high amount?

Below is the schedule I have found, anyone have any ideas how I could limit the extract (mainly because of cost) but still get around the same profile?

35ml Hop Extract @ 90
5ml Hop Extract @ 45
.5oz Columbus @ 45
1.5oz Simcoe @ 30
1.5oz Centennial @ 0
1.5oz Amarillo @ 0
2.5oz Simcoe @ 0

Dry Hop 1: .5oz ea: Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial
Dry Hop 2: 1oz ea: Amarillo, Centenial
Dry Hop 3: 1oz ea: Simcoe, Columbus
Dry Hop 4: .5oz ea Amarillo, Simcoe

THANKS EVERYONE!

[quote=“tony269”]So I was looking to do a Pliny the Younger Clone and most clones I see online are adding 35mls of Hop Extract at 90 mins and then another 5 mls at 45 mins, is it just me or does that seem like a crazy high amount?

Below is the schedule I have found, anyone have any ideas how I could limit the extract (mainly because of cost) but still get around the same profile?

35ml Hop Extract @ 90
5ml Hop Extract @ 45
.5oz Columbus @ 45
1.5oz Simcoe @ 30
1.5oz Centennial @ 0
1.5oz Amarillo @ 0
2.5oz Simcoe @ 0

THANKS EVERYONE![/quote]

One milliliter of HopShot yields approximately 10 IBUs in 5 gallons of 1.050 wort when boiled for 60 minutes.

Hopshots are on the milder end of bitterness to IME with them

[quote=“grainbelt”][quote=“tony269”]So I was looking to do a Pliny the Younger Clone and most clones I see online are adding 35mls of Hop Extract at 90 mins and then another 5 mls at 45 mins, is it just me or does that seem like a crazy high amount?

35ml Hop Extract @ 90
5ml Hop Extract @ 45
.5oz Columbus @ 45
1.5oz Simcoe @ 30
1.5oz Centennial @ 0
1.5oz Amarillo @ 0
2.5oz Simcoe @ 0

THANKS EVERYONE![/quote]

One milliliter of HopShot yields approximately 10 IBUs in 5 gallons of 1.050 wort when boiled for 60 minutes.

Hopshots are on the milder end of bitterness to IME with them[/quote]

So with that math that works out to be around 400 IBU’s right? I guess I am asking what is the benefit from using it? Cant you just take 15 ounces of Centennial at 90 mins and get the same result or will that just dominate the beer with just one hop?

If that stuff is the only alternative I get it but it costs $3 for 5mls and hops cost much less and seem to be more effective on the beer calculator.

One advantage is less slop in the kettle. With nearly a pound of bittering hops, you will encounter quite a bit of trub loss. Maybe get a super high alpha bittering if you want to go the real hop route.

Bitter with magnum or another high alpha hop as mentioned. I bitter frequently with super galena.

awesome stuff, thanks for the info as always guys.

Although it’s for flavor and aroma, not bittering, i’ve just been playing with some hop extract from Freshops. Good stuff!