Hop effects subdued by using a paint strainer bag

I’m sure you’ve all seen these before, but you can make one for under $10 with a quick stop at your local hardware store. All you need is a drill to make a few holes. The bag should be large and open (paint strainer). This allows a lot more contact with the wort then hop socks that hang over the side or right in the pot. I never did like those things. Very constricting. No room for the hops to float around.

Again, I rarely even use this anymore. I really only use it for APAs or IPAs when I’m adding a lot of late additions. In general, I just toss them right in the boil and don’t think twice about it.

[quote=“dobe12”]I’m sure you’ve all seen these before, but you can make one for under $10 with a quick stop at your local hardware store. All you need is a drill to make a few holes. The bag should be large and open (paint strainer). This allows a lot more contact with the wort then hop socks that hang over the side or right in the pot. I never did like those things. Very constricting. No room for the hops to float around.

Again, I rarely even use this anymore. I really only use it for APAs or IPAs when I’m adding a lot of late additions. In general, I just toss them right in the boil and don’t think twice about it.
[/quote]
The design of my hop spider is identical but I didn’t want steamy pvc drippings in my beer. As mentioned in my first post, I went with a SS baking ring. Sure, the cost went up to $20 or so but the opening is much wider (6 inches) and no pvc.

Maybe I’m paranoid, but there is something about boiling nylon for an hour that doesn’t sit right with me. I could definitely see using a sanitized one to pour chilled wort through though.