Hop debris catcher

Racked a dry hopped IPA to the bottling bucket a few days ago. Snapped a picture of my debris catching bag first posted in Beer Gear / Niffty little gadget, begun by @brew_cat

Has been working rather well. It does slow the flow through the auto siphon but the bottled beer is much cleaner.

1 Like

The bag/filter is on the inlet for the auto siphon? I’ve done this with decent results with IPA’s. The bag attached with a rubber band and with sufficient surface area to prevent clogging.

I have it attached at the outlet. I thought if I had it at the inlet more trub would be stirred up.

This is how I do it as well. If you put it at the inlet of the auto-siphon, you run the risk of sucking in air through the gasket between the inner and outer tube if it gets restricted. Nothing worse than seeing a steady stream of bubbles flowing into your beer.

Seems like having it on the outlet side risks oxidation. I guess only until it’s submerged though…

The clamp that holds the bag to the end of the tube is lodged under the spigot nut to hold the siphon tube to the bottom of the bucket. Flow is slow enough, or not too fast, to raise the bag off the bottom of the bucket. I don’t think I have an oxidation problem so far.

1 Like

I just use a large paint strainer bag to line my bottle bucket. When the transfer is complete I slowly lift it out and the hop debris comes along with it. Its easy to clean too. Just rinse and hang to dry. I suppose you could just leave it in until the bottling is done if you want to but I take it out before I add the priming sugar.

1 Like

That sounds like the easiest way. May help to mix the priming sugar as you lift it out also.

All of these options would appear to have some oxidation risk, and I don’t use anything with other styles. I’ve never had oxidation except with 2 of my ipa’s…IPA’s with dry hopping, excessive hop material, extra steps and gadgets do seem to incur that risk.

Now that I have a chest freezer(and can finally truly cold crash)and am kegging with the availability of co2 I’ll probably let the hops fly and practice every method to avoid oxidation and we shall see… I have 2 other brews on deck but an IPA likely before March ends.[quote=“dannyboy58, post:5, topic:23957, full:true”]
Seems like having it on the outlet side risks oxidation. I guess only until it’s submerged though…
[/quote]