Hop Combinations

Hi All -

I’d like some input on possible hop combinations. I’ve four ounces each of the types listed below, and I’ll be making two types of beers with them - standard bitter and black ipa. Most of these hops are new to me.

I’d like to hear what combinations have worked well for you and, if you’ve got a good bitter or black ipa recipe, go ahead and post the recipe as well.

Galaxy
Nelson Sauvin
Simcoe
Amarillo
Citra
CTZ
Chinook

Look forward to hearing your input

Prost!

My black IPA is as follows:

90% 2-row
5% c60
5% carafa III

Bitter to around the alcohol % you want

I.E. 10% ABV=100 IBUs, 7%ABV=70 IBUs

I would bitter with CTZ and then aroma/dry hop with simcoe and amarillo.

I’ve never used citra, galaxy, or nelson sauvin.

Happy Brewing

Galaxy is awesome all by itself, it’s got a funky citrus/dank combo going on and I love it. It would pair well with any of the American style hops too.

Citra goes great with Simcoe and Amarillo, just don’t overdo it as it’s a potent hop and can overpower easily.

No black IPA recipe but I like to hop my IPA’s something like this:

2oz 15min
2oz 10min
2oz 2min
2-4oz dry hop

I calculate the bittering addition last to make up any remaining IBU’s after all the late additions. Usually around .5-1oz of a high alpha hop like Columbus or Magnum.

Black IPA in my carboy now…has summit(bittering), chinook, centennial and simcoes in it…dry hopping with simcoe in a few weeks.

[quote=“dr.bob”]Hi All -

I’d like some input on possible hop combinations. I’ve four ounces each of the types listed below, and I’ll be making two types of beers with them - standard bitter and black ipa. Most of these hops are new to me.

I’d like to hear what combinations have worked well for you and, if you’ve got a good bitter or black ipa recipe, go ahead and post the recipe as well.

Galaxy
Nelson Sauvin
Simcoe
Amarillo
Citra
CTZ
Chinook

Look forward to hearing your input

Prost![/quote]

The only two of these I’ve used are simcoe and amarillo which would work well in any ipa.