Hop Basket - Awesome!

A billion times better than a hop spider or hop bag in every way!

I used 7 oz. of whole hops in a 5 gallon batch and could have easily gone up to a pound–maybe higher–with no worries about clogging my pump or plate chiller. At the end of the boil, I recirculated wort into the basket to get more exposure to the hops. Awesome!

I have been thinking about getting something like that- where did you get it?

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Straine ... _c_18.html

I got the 8 5/8" one with #40 mesh. Apparently he can customize them if needed too. If you want different mesh or different dimensions, just ask before ordering. He is building them to order so it takes a while to get them.

Looks neat, but wouldn’t be useful for me since I use an immersion chiller.

You can sanitize your IC in Starsan and remove the hop basket just before you start chilling.

I would also think you could put the hop basket in the middle of your immersion chiller??? Especially if you consider the fact that in the vast majority of beers where you a re adding a ton of hops, almost all of them are coming in the last 15 minutes anyway. Throw your pellet bittering hops in at 60 like normal. 15-20 to go, put your immersion chiller in, and then just set the basket in the middle of the chiller and start dumping in your late addition hops??? Do you see that as a viable possibility, or would that not work?

Also - how the hell do you order anything off that site? clicked on the hop basket, selected size, added to cart . . . . . . but then what? there is no checkout button . . . . at least not one that I can find. Am I missing something? Thanks!

Yeah, it doesn’t really stand out. In the upper-right corner of the page, click the Shopping Cart link.

I used the same for the second time this weekend - works fantastic and made cleanup a bit easier, plus I think since i was able to pull the hops before running off to the fermenter, I was able to leave less behind.

aka chinois

Hmmm… I’m interested

I wonder if they have one that is small enough to fit inside of my IC. Killer looking product.

he has 3 sizes - smallest is 4.5" OD - I’d imagine that you’d have no problem with an IC. Heck, I think even mine at 8 5/8" ID would probably fit inside my old IC.

I guess the pop rivets are aluminum.

That looks really cool, but 18" is too tall for me to chill with my lid on. I’ll have to see what they say about custom sizes.

I brewed tonight and used 3 oz of leaf hops. I was wishing I had one of these as I was trying to strain them out.

[quote=“BrewingRover”]That looks really cool, but 18" is too tall for me to chill with my lid on. I’ll have to see what they say about custom sizes.

I brewed tonight and used 3 oz of leaf hops. I was wishing I had one of these as I was trying to strain them out.[/quote]

he makes custom sizes if you ask, as my kettle with the element needed a shorter basket, but honestly, you can detach the ring on top and use regular scissors to cut the mesh to any length you want.

It does look great. I used 14 oz of hops in a recent batch and was horrified at the result…

How is this with pellets? How much gets through into the wort?

[quote=“blatz”]
he makes custom sizes if you ask, as my kettle with the element needed a shorter basket, but honestly, you can detach the ring on top and use regular scissors to cut the mesh to any length you want.[/quote]
Well, I’d rather pay him than cut it myself. Alas, I’m banned from buying any new toys until after Christmas.

Ditto on the question about how it works with pellets. This also look like an easy DIY!!

From what I’ve read, the #50 mesh is the best way to go for more complete pellet retention, but you lose a bit of wort flow in and out of the basket. The #40 holds back less, but still most of the pellet sludge–and allows for better wort flow.

I’ve got a friend who tried the DIY route. It ended up costing him about the same to acquire the SS parts, was a PITA to put together and the final product is not as solid as the one I bought. I think having a rivet gun would make a difference, though.