38% 1.50 lbs Briess Bavarian Wheat Dried Malt Extract 60 min
25% 1.00 lbs Light Crytal Malt 60 min

1.00 oz citra Pellet Boil 13.4% 60 min
0.50 oz Hallertauer Gold (German) Pellet Boil 3.0% 30 min 1.50
0.50 oz Hallertauer Gold (German) Pellet Boil 3.0% 10 min 1.50

2.00 lbs Wild Flower Honey (Flame Out) Boil
1.00 oz Zest, 3 lemons (5 Minutes) Boil
0.17 oz Irish Moss boil 15 Min. Boil

And then I’m thinking about adding the ginger (freshly shaved from a root) with the lemon. Does this look pretty trustworthy?

What is the volume/OG you are going for?

5 gallons

:oops:

I was missing the honey. I thought the OG was going to be way low.

Bittering is way high. I might cut the citra in 1/2 or 1/4.

Go easy on the ginger. It can be overpowering.

I was missing the honey. I thought the OG was going to be way low.

Bittering is way high. I might cut the citra in 1/2 or 1/4.

Go easy on the ginger. It can be overpowering.[/quote]

That’s what I’ve read. The recommended levels are about 3-4 oz if I remember right.

Good advise on the ginger. I recentley brewed a honey ginger extract kit. It called for 3 ounces of
finely diced ginger. Although this beer is still in secondary, I got a little taste when I transferred it
and the ginger flavor is there with only that small amount used.

Thanks guys! Will be brewing tomorrow.

OH OH OH I forgot to ask: should I just squeeze the lemons into a liquid or just throw the slices in there whole?

after a trip to my modest brew supply store I came back with these ingredients (a lot of last minute changes):

1 lb. honey malt
3 lbs. briess weizen dme
1oz. hellertau
1 oz. citra
2 lbs. wild honey
1 ginger root
3 lemons
German Ale Yeast

This won’t be remotely close to what I originally planned on, but I’m excited.

The recipe calls for the zest only - so I would not throw the lemons or the juice in.

If you have a “zester” tool you can use that, we have a microplane that will shave only the yellow part of the peel off, and last way to get the zest is to use a vegetable peeler to get the zest off, then you could probably just throw that in at flameout. You don’t want to get too much of the white pith as that will be bitter.

The recipe calls for the zest only - so I would not throw the lemons or the juice in.

If you have a “zester” tool you can use that, we have a microplane that will shave only the yellow part of the peel off, and last way to get the zest is to use a vegetable peeler to get the zest off, then you could probably just throw that in at flameout. You don’t want to get too much of the white pith as that will be bitter.[/quote]

*!@# I just finished putting this in the primary right before I read this post. I’m pretty sure I can still go in there (I put it in a bucket), but would that ill advised/too “invasive” :frowning:

fretful bump

whoops sorry I didn’t get back to the forums - yeah fishing around in the primary is probably not worth doing.

At any rate - you’ve made beer and it will probably be good stuff.
Take good notes so that you’ll know what you made, and that will help you decide what you might do differently with the next one! You never know, you may have invented something awesome.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com