Honey IPA feedback?

Hey guys,

I’ve been tinkering around with my March homebrew recipe for the past few hours and think I’ve finally got something going. I’m trying to do a St. Patrick’s/Easter thing:

St. Patrick chased the snakes out of Ireland, so I’m focusing on more grassy/earthy hops to pay homage to those snakes. I’m using a British yeast because, well, St. Patrick was of Romano-British descent (the Irish yeast strains just didn’t seem to have the right flavors for this brew). Also, I thought I’d throw the honey in there to see how it interacts with the IPA. My thought was that honey is golden, kind of like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I’ve seen a few other Honey IPA recipes, and the idea is just so interesting to me. I’ve never heard of such a thing until just recently.

Anyway, if you get a chance, I’d love some feedback on it!

Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV: 7.1%
IBU: 72.5 (1.29 BU:GU)
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8

Amount Item Type %
9.00 lb Malteurop 2-row Pale Malt 82 %
1.00 lb American Crystal 40L 9 %
1.00 lb Briess CaraPils Grain 9 %

0.5 oz Chinook (60 min) Bittering Hops
0.5 oz Target (50 min) Bittering Hops
0.5 oz Chinook (40 min) Bittering Hops
0.5 oz Styrian Goldings (30 min) Aroma Hops
0.5 oz Target (20 min) Bittering Hops
0.5 oz Styrian Goldings (10 min) Aroma Hops

1 Pkgs Wyeast British Ale (1098)

Add 16 oz Clover Honey in secondary

Look for some Bell’s Hopslam clone recipes. That is by far one of the most popular IPAs brewed with Honey. Double Bubble by Rush River is another great Honey IPA. I don’t know if they add it to the boil or to the secondary or how that affects the taste. I have noticed that both can have an herbal medicine quality from the fermented honey which isn’t a bad thing just worth noting. Hope it turns out!