Honey Blonde - how's this look?

So this summer I am planning on doing some different brews, one of which being a Honey Blonde. Any feedback on my recipe would be appreciated:

6 lbs Pilsner
8 oz. Crystal 20L
8 oz. Munich 20L
8 oz. flaked wheat (for body…maybe?)
1 oz. Hallertau or Saaz (60 min)
.5 oz Hallertau or Saaz (20 min)
.5 oz Hallertau or Saaz (0 min)
1 lb honey (flameout)
WY2565 Kolsch

Mash @ 150-152 for 60 minutes

[quote=“Lytnin”]So this summer I am planning on doing some different brews, one of which being a Honey Blonde. Any feedback on my recipe would be appreciated:

6 lbs Pilsner
8 oz. Crystal 20L
8 oz. Munich 20L
8 oz. flaked wheat (for body…maybe?)
1 oz. Hallertau or Saaz (60 min)
.5 oz Hallertau or Saaz (20 min)
.5 oz Hallertau or Saaz (0 min)
1 lb honey (flameout)
WY2565 Kolsch

Mash @ 150-152 for 60 minutes[/quote]

Looks like it would be pretty good.
I use 2-row with 12% white wheat and 4% munich 10 in my blonde ale.
I vary the hops depending on what I have in stock, although I prefer noble or noble type hops.
I’ve never used kolsch yeast; I’ve had good luck with WLP008, Wyeast 1272, and S34/70.
The last honey beer I brewed (coconut honey Am wheat) I added around 8% honeymalt and added the honey on the second day once fermentation was going pretty good. I also used honey to prime.

I have had great results adding honey, dissolved in some pre-boiled water after day 3-4 of fermentation. This allows (forces) the yeast to work on the larger-chain sugars first, and supposedly helps in drying the beer out. I think your 8oz of crystal will help add some residual sweetness to balance that out.

Looks like a winner though to me. I’d go Saaz, but I’m obsessed with them :slight_smile:

That’s a pretty solid recipe, but I would throw in 1/4 lb of honey malt for more of a “honey” flavor. I think adding the honey at flameout will only serve to dry the beer out versus giving it actual flavor.