Honey Ale No Fermentation

I’m making my second 5 gal batch of White House Honey Ale but this time, after 7 days, there is still no fermentation happening. I talked to my local homebrew store and he said to just pitch some additional yeast into it which I did yesterday morning, still nothing.

Temperature is around 70-75 OG was 1.110.

Any ideas as to what is happening and can I save this batch?
Thanks!

Welcome tviz. What yeast have you been using? If you are brewinging in a sealed bucket are you judging “active fermentation” based on bubbles in the airlock? If so we see a lot of these questions and 99% of the time the bucket lid is not fully closed so the CO2 is going out another hole instead of your airlock

Hi squeegeethree,
I’m using a clear carboy fermenter with a stopper/airlock. The yeast is US-05 that came with the recipe kit and bought the same for the second try. I could try sealing the carboy with some tape I guess. It’s just strange because I had no issues with the first batch.

Any krauesen? Can you upload a pic of the carboy?

(Also a SG of 1.110 would be a HUGE beer, Although I’ve not brewed that particular kit. )

Have you used a hydrometer or refractometer to verify if “nothing has happened”?

Very big brew… try rehydrate 3 packs of yeast, then pitch them… but 05 ale yeast has been a good performer for me…
Hey, welcome aboard! Very knowledgeable brews here… and helpful…
Sneezles61

Thank you everyone for the help here. Attached are some pics. Checked gravity this morning and now it’s down to 1.08. Does not taste good at all right now.

1 Like

I see the krausen ring so it is fermenting…. A big brew like that is going to take a year before the flavor settles… Might even be a month of fermenting,perhaps longer…
Sneezles61

1 Like

What are you using for your readings? Also, did you add fermentables? The White House Honey ale is supposed to be 1.062. Likely you’re seeing wort stratification from topping off your wort after boil.

1 Like

I figured it was souped up…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I thought about that but the typical scenario is very low SGs from the “lighter” water on top of the wort. I guess it depends on sampling depth and technique.

How is the song….”shake shake shake… shake yer booty… shake yer booty”! Oh that’s funny…
Sneezles61

Welcome tviz21. There is a great group here that will try very hard to help.

It wouldn’t hurt to dunk your hydrometer in 60° preferably distilled water to make sure it reads correctly. Tap water will work to get a ballpark idea. Should be close to 1.000