Homerun red

Thanks for the recipe for homerun red, Ken. Just moved it from primary to the keg - tasted wonderful already. Looking forward to seeing how good it is in 6 weeks after lagering. Little worried about it as mother nature has wreaked havoc with my fermentation temps this past month. Spent most of its time in the 54-57 degree range. Did not seem to cause any troubles though. Anyway - thanks for your willingness to share a great recipe.

You’re gonna absolutly f’n love it. I’ve got it on keg now and put a second batch in fermentation 2 days ago. It’s awesome.

:cheers:

Just wishing I would have done a couple batches over the winter. I let the winter take care of my lager fermentation temps - so, I have to wait til november to brew more.

I’m too old to wait for the seasons. Best “beer” money spent so far was on beer fridge (fermentation) and beer freezer (keezer).

cheers.

Remember too that you can always make it as an ale. I agree with Stormy that a fridge can go a loooong way towards brewing happiness… lagers year round! Cheers and enjoy the Red!

Ken - Do you generally use 1056 type yeast when making as an ale? Have you ever used German Ale 1007 for it? I just did an Alt yesterday (1007) and did an IPA (1056) - So, I will have second generation yeast looking for a home in a few weeks. Would be interesting to do it as an ale and have both the lager and ale on hand at the same time for taste comparisons.

As for the “lager” fridge/freezer . . . . I would like to get one, and I am sure my wife would give me the go-ahead. I already have a full size fridge in the basement behind the bar for serving/lagering/kegs out of. Would like to get a smaller chest freezer to use exclusively as a temp. controlled fermentation chamber. . . . .of course then I would have kitchen fridge/freezer, Upright freezer in the garage, full size beer fridge in the basement, AND a fermentation freezer. Not sure if that is bad or not, just thinking I am beginning to walk the line between hobby and obsession:)

[quote=“StormyBrew”]I’m too old to wait for the seasons. Best “beer” money spent so far was on beer fridge (fermentation) and beer freezer (keezer).

cheers.[/quote]

+1. Couldn’t agree with you more! :cheers:

[quote=“Braufessor”]Ken - Do you generally use 1056 type yeast when making as an ale? Have you ever used German Ale 1007 for it? I just did an Alt yesterday (1007) and did an IPA (1056) - So, I will have second generation yeast looking for a home in a few weeks. Would be interesting to do it as an ale and have both the lager and ale on hand at the same time for taste comparisons.

As for the “lager” fridge/freezer . . . . I would like to get one, and I am sure my wife would give me the go-ahead. I already have a full size fridge in the basement behind the bar for serving/lagering/kegs out of. Would like to get a smaller chest freezer to use exclusively as a temp. controlled fermentation chamber. . . . .of course then I would have kitchen fridge/freezer, Upright freezer in the garage, full size beer fridge in the basement, AND a fermentation freezer. Not sure if that is bad or not, just thinking I am beginning to walk the line between hobby and obsession:)[/quote]

I live in a 2 bedroom condo. I have a regular fridge/freezer in our kitchen which holds our food, beer, hops, yeast. I have a fermentation fridge (minfridge) in my infant son’s closet to control the temps on my ale’s in the winter and lagers in the summer. I have a second minifridge (3rd overall fridge if you’re counting) converted to a 2 tap kegerator in our dinning room. Hobby, yes! Obsession, yes! Well worth it, YES!!!

[quote=“Braufessor”]Ken - Do you generally use 1056 type yeast when making as an ale? Have you ever used German Ale 1007 for it? I just did an Alt yesterday (1007) and did an IPA (1056) - So, I will have second generation yeast looking for a home in a few weeks. Would be interesting to do it as an ale and have both the lager and ale on hand at the same time for taste comparisons.

As for the “lager” fridge/freezer . . . . I would like to get one, and I am sure my wife would give me the go-ahead. I already have a full size fridge in the basement behind the bar for serving/lagering/kegs out of. Would like to get a smaller chest freezer to use exclusively as a temp. controlled fermentation chamber. . . . .of course then I would have kitchen fridge/freezer, Upright freezer in the garage, full size beer fridge in the basement, AND a fermentation freezer. Not sure if that is bad or not, just thinking I am beginning to walk the line between hobby and obsession:)[/quote]

The kitchen one and the upright freezer are hers (they’ve got food in them), so you ONLY have the basement fridge. You NEED the fermentation freezer just to break even and bring balance back to the house :wink: . Do it!

Good point Stormy Brew - she has two, I only have one. It would just be unfair if I did not get another one!

This is hilarious. I currently have a full-sized fridge in the bar which has bottled beer & soda in the fridge and glasses and frozen food in the freezer. In my beer bunker I have a full-sized fridge (for lagering and housing carbed, cold kegs), 2 half-height fridges that act as my serving fridges and another half-height fridge which is my lager primary fridge. My wife says obsession, I say hobby. :expressionless:

I have used WLP001, 1056, US05, 1272, 2112 and possibly even an English Ale yeast for HRRA. I have not used 1007 but I really like that yeast and I could see it working well in this beer. Absolutely no reason not to try it. I have an Activator of it that I almost popped today but held off and popped some 1028 for some ESBs instead. :smiley: Cheers.

FWIW, I used 2206 on both my HRR batches. It’s one of my favorite lager yeasts that I use routinely for bocks and schwarzbeirs.

cheers

Just put Home Run Red Ale on tap here last night. Yum. Dark red, clear, good head formation and nice hop flavor and aroma from the late Mt. Hoods. Cheers!

Yummy.

My first KLHRR Lager is almost gone and second batch has been in primary for 2 weeks…probably gonna have a gap from the time my first batch is gone and the second is ready…damn poor planning on my part.

[quote=“StormyBrew”]Yummy.

My first KLHRR Lager is almost gone and second batch has been in primary for 2 weeks…probably gonna have a gap from the time my first batch is gone and the second is ready…damn poor planning on my part.

:cheers: [/quote]
Cheers to you, my friend.