Homebrewing and woodworking

I will buy a guitar from you. Me just sold. One of my guitars. Last month. A imitation. Les paul. Try to safe cash. Want to buy. A. Gibson flying v.

1 Like

I’ve been “in the middle” of building a humidor for one of my other hobbies/vices. I love cigars, and I own some ok humidors, one is a good size but the others are tiny. I have the design finished, only got part way through making it before my daughter was born so time has been at a premium. Rather make beer than a humidor I guess. Some day I will pick it back up, but I need to buy a cheap planer because the wood is a little uneven, possibly warped. Outside is cherry, inside is Spanish cedar.

I want it to be tall, and my cherry pieces aren’t very wide, so I’m doing a tongue and groove to join them.

I have Ryobi tools mostly, just because once you get one it makes it easier to get others, and theyre fine for the amount i use them. Table saw, router and table, drill press… And some power hand tools.

3 Likes

I feel like some sort of jointer and planer are almost mandatory for the quality of wood that is available. Even the s4s grade is bowed and warped. Add some humidity to the equation and your way out of square. You can make a planer and table saw work with a jointer jig.

It’s how creative one can be… And some trial and error factors in too!
We have some black cherry trees out by the road, the county dudes cut off their tops leaning into the road… I will cut it down and make my own mill wood… Should be excellent neck through the body guitar wood!
Sneezles61

I know red spruce is used for soundboards in pianos. I had a friend that built guitars and he mentioned that is good for guitars

1 Like

I forgot to update this thread with my Father’s Day gift from my 9 yr old daughter. She worked on this with my Dad in his shop for two weeks. :heart_eyes:

:beers:
Rad

10 Likes

So here I’m getting ready to rip these planks down to 2.5"x2.5"x7’…
I’m making a dining room table for my wife… It’ll be 3’x6’ when completed… Since I haven’t a whole bunch of time now… I’ll have the local iron man build a simple set of legs…
These planks are from a building completed in 1902 we remodeled about 2009… The planks(joists) spanned 24’ clear… I’ll bet they were seedlings in the 1600’s… This lumber is very dirty… I’ll burn up a new saw blade and will need to reboot my planers’ blades…
Sneezles61

4 Likes

What do you mean no time I thought you were retiring. Better tie that hair back when you use the power tools

You know looking at that picture of you if you lost about 15 lbs we might be twins. Scary

1 Like

Official on Aug 1… There’s still a boat load outside projects to complete before freeze up… Wife absolutely wants this table NOW!!! And the neighbor want to use my planer at his house…
I plan to do a trestle pedestal…
Hair get tied back when really getting close to moving tools…
Sneezles61

They are about 2-1/4" wide…and 2-1/2" tall…I can get them glued up so I have 2 slabs about 18"… Then back through the planer and finally make them one heavy chunk… Need to get liquid glass and a big round over bit…
I have a notion to put a dado on each end’ centered, then put a hunk of black walnut… That’d look nice… Make a sled for my router after it’s complete? Try do each one as I’m assembling?
To tie this together… I may have to sit out in the garage, with some homebrew and plot and scheme… :beers:
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Planing process is completed…one slab is 20" wide the other 18"… Now for a very tricky event…preparing the 2edges for glue and clamps… I’ll make use of straight edges and router… Once it’s glued, I be ready for some home brew!
Sneezles61

8 Likes

Nice

So I went out to the deer hunting woods of my brother in law… We had tornadoes blow through last W/E and now there’s a quagmire of huge trees strewn about… His cabin untouched… Lucky for me… I got into some fairly large trees… The outer bark rings were cream colored… Then the heart of it very dark… I found out it black ash! I’ll get back out there and clean up some 8’ logs go skid out…
Now, go look at making baskets from black ash… I might have another hobby to try out… Nice relaxing, whilst sipping a brew…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Do you have a saw mill?

No… This wood you see is recycled floor joist’. Tore out the old floors and put in new floors that timed out with building next to it… The old building was called the red lion… Up in Duluth Mn.
Sneezles61

Joined together…the metal legs bolted on… First coat of paint… The under side will get the same paint…the shiny spots is epoxy… Filling some deep knots and such…I hope to flip it up right this W/E and get to finishing the top… Maybe move it in to place in another week or so…
Sneezles61

5 Likes

And the finished product! Now to clean up the shop… Pull out the mill and prepare for brewing!!
Sneezles61

9 Likes

That came out really nicely! :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

Thank you… Using the “liquid glass” clear coar was quite challenging… I’m better prepared for my next adventure with it!
Sneezles61