Homebrewing and woodworking

I have all of my fingers also… Learn to make a good push sticks…
On the mitre box… If your fingers are uncomfortably close… after you plunge through… Slide the wood and your fingers away… My cousin let go of the trigger… The saw jumps to slow down… Got thumb and pointer…
Safety glasses? Wood in the eye… You tell the Dr. Where the sliver is as he digs around… (That about gets me to tip over hearing).
Sneezles61

Damn. I’m starting to look into ways of getting around having a tablesaw altogether until I have a larger space. Not sure if I could mill lumber with a bandsaw and with hand planes or not. Or if I would even want to attempt to

Don’t be afraid of a table saw… or any saw… Do have respect for what it can do… Pre-task planning…
Sneezles61

You need a table saw minimum

1 Like

That’s what I figured. Just not sure if I should get a portable or save up for a contractor saw

Not sure what you mean by contractor saw. Portable is fine. That’s what we use on site. Now if you’re serious about setting up a shop get a good shop table saw and build out from that. That’s going to be the most used tool. Get a 12" if you can afford it. Do you have a space set ?

Not yet. Going to be moving in the next year or two and a garage or basement is a must. Currently dont have either. I’m just going to begin with some basic hand planes and a flush trim router bit to square up some lumber. I bought this beautiful slab of walnut I’m turning into a shelf. Hope to put some dovetails in it cut by hand

1 Like

Wasnt a slab. 6inch by 10 ft s2s

I’d stay portable also… You can always use one… Once you get settled into your next place… Then plott and scheme… An actual floor stand one would be dreamy… If you have a space/place for it to set up permanently… Those beasts are heavy! And get one with some horse power!
Sneezles61

1 Like

The grizzly portable has a 2 horse and variable speed. Not sure how great that would be

1 Like

Yes a nice low whine. The portables tend to scream

1 Like

Keep your eyes peeled for clamps at garage sales. Always need clamps. A lot of them all sizes.

1 Like

Cleaning up the garage after my little project remind me why I don’t do more woodworking. I need a shop

Yeh I’ve been working outside. Dust collection is pretty paramount indoors. Do you use and pocket screw joinery?

Yes I do have the keg pocket screw jigs. Very handy also the biscuit joiner another great tool. Also get a compound slide miter saw. With that and a table saw you can make most any cut. We used to use the radial arm saw but those are pretty much obsolete. A drum sander is nice to have as well. How do you plan on milling down that walnut?

Get a couple routers as well. See this is like home brewing keep adding to the wish list.

1 Like

I set up a straight edge with a flush trim router bit and straightened one side of each 5 foot section. Then I took a marking gauge and rode along that straight and edge and will line that up and make another router cut. The rest will be done with a random orbital sander and a low angle block plane. Mostly because those are the tools i have to work with. I got the router for free. It’s an old black and decker 1/4 inch collet so I just picked up the flush trim bit. Seems to be working

A joiner would be nice… I’ll rip and put on edge and run through planer (25" wood master). I can get it to open up 8"…
I made my work table, 4’x8’ and made an opening for my router and a plate… Very handy but wished I did make slots for Tee bolts and tracks… for fences and such…
I can make alot stuff out of our 24’x28’ garage…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I’m planning a shop in my head now if I keep it under 200sq feet I can put it where I want with a 15’ property line setback. Any bigger the setback jumps to 25’. I’m thinking 12x16 with 6’ barn doors on both ends. Everything 24"x48"modules that can be rolled out and clamped together in different configurations for work tables and runout table etc.

My goal is to build guitars… No more heavy projects… well, after I get my stuff done here… If we go over 140 square feet, then we need a permit and our set back is 15’… That’s from the edge of the shingles…
Sneezles61

1 Like