Homebrew and heartburn

Well some commercial beers too. Anyone get heartburn from a certain beer? I take stuff called Aciphex for acid reflux and it works better than any other prescription I have tried to tame it. Right now I have a Belgian triple on tap and it is one of the ones that do it. I assume it has something to do with the high alcohol and/or the large amount of sugar in the recipe. High fermentation temps associated with Belgian style may also help. Strangely enough some very hoppy brews don’t do it. Drinking loads of any beer might do it but that can be expected.

Tums or Rolaids type calcium tablets work for about two minutes. About the same for liquid antacids. Have had the endoscopy to make sure something major is not wrong. They did discover a hiatal hernia from the reflux but that is it. Anybody have the same problem and maybe a preventative or relief?

May also be the yeast in a particular beer or high yeast beers (weisse, certain belgians). I have buddies that have similar problems.

wheat beers seem to fill me up more. not sure if this is just a placebo effect. but i dont brew many wheat beers, because they make my stomach full

Could it be that you normally drink beer at night and then go lay down in bed to go to sleep after? Does it happen when you dont drink? Or day drink?

I also have a hiatal hernia & have suffered from GERD for many years. Have you tried omeprazole, it is the only thing that works for me. I was on Aciphex for years until that stopped being effective.

Certain hops give me heartburn. And I can’t drink certain commercial wheats due to them giving me pounding headaches.

Every style may affect us differently, but keep in mind that any carbonated beverage tends to be more to the acidic side, and most beer is no different. Add certain foods (BBQ for me) and you’ve got demons pushing flaming swords out from the inside of your chest :slight_smile:

Aciphex here too, but am looking for another as seems not to work anymore. Ocnly zantac helps before bedtime. Is there a OTC or generic brand of omeprazole?

edit: nebermind…prilosec. googled it. :wink:

I’ve got Innkeeper on tap that causes problems as does my Witbeir. My pale yellow lager is not a issue, nor was my red lager.

TBH, I haven’t checked my brew’s ph levels and guess I should/could if I had some strips but I’d bet those on the acidy end are the bad boys. :wink:

cheers

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I generally get the heartburn the day after especially when having a few too many. Not sure the yeast does it but I will try to keep track of that. There are some hops that cause it. A local micro has a very hoppy ale that does it but another with different hops that does not.

I have an appointment for a check up in a couple of weeks and will ask my doctor about omeprazole/prilosec or maybe just try some prilosec OTC first.

or maybe just quit drinking beer, gawd i’m sorry i even said that :lol:

I get heartburn/reflux pretty bad but I’ve been taking Nexium and it helps a lot. I get it bad enough that it keeps me up at night but this stuff pretty much does the trick unless I really overdo it.

I suffer from this too. I had the endoscopy and everything. Everything was normal so that was good. I have been taking omeprazole for years but it doesn’t work anymore. I have a doctors appointment in 2 weeks and I plan on asking for Nexium. I also had my gall bladder out last year so don’t know if that is why my reflux got worse. I just don’t want my doctor to tell me to stop drinking.

Last night we had dinner at the bar up the street. I had fried haddock and french fries. Something that would sometimes start the burn. Usually have broiled haddock and skip the fries but this place doesn’t do fish broiled well. Skipped the homebrew but had a few Saranac “summer series” brews. Today not hardly a trace of heartburn. 10 gallons of the Belgian left so I guess it will have to be a one or two a night tops and last a long time.

I too am finding that the proton pump inhibitors only seem to last for so long then you need to switch to a different one. I hope they keep coming up with new ones as fast as we need to switch them.

[quote=“Bigfloppy”]I suffer from this too. I had the endoscopy and everything. Everything was normal so that was good. I have been taking omeprazole for years but it doesn’t work anymore. I have a doctors appointment in 2 weeks and I plan on asking for Nexium. I also had my gall bladder out last year so don’t know if that is why my reflux got worse. I just don’t want my doctor to tell me to stop drinking.[/quote]I had my gall bladder removed several years ago… Last fall I ending up in the er with severe stomach pains; after weeks of tests, it was determined I also have Bile Reflux. It apparently is common in people without gall bladder. Not fun.

So I see from your signature line that you didn’t change your diet after the trip to the ER. What did the doctor say you should do to help with the bile reflux?

So I see from your signature line that you didn’t change your diet after the trip to the ER. What did the doctor say you should do to help with the bile reflux?[/quote]Diet really has little impact on Bile; in my case it was stress & anxiety related. He put me on a anti-anxiety drug (Citalopram) & Bentyl for the stomach spasms. I still get occasional flare ups. My upper GI scope was ok, they found the bile reflux by doing a 24 hr pH Impedance test. (not fun)

Holy crap. I feel fortunate to only occasionally have the reflux due to eating too late at night and sleeping on my right side (wrong side). Nothing worse than being jolted out of bed from stomach acid coming up. Can not imagine dealing with that to the point of needing prescription medication. I used to rely on OTC Zantac nightly but a few years ago I dropped 50 pounds over a year long regime and now it is pretty rare to have reflux. One thing I found that helped me when stomach acid cranked up was to down a glass of water with a tablespoon of phsylium powder. It seemed to neutralize the acid or bind to it and deal with it. (I’m sounding like an old fart now)
My nephew has to avoid certain foods like the plague or he suffers even though he takes a prescription. He’s a skinny guy, not a natural born lardass like me. :smiley:
Best of luck with that!

I’m a fairly small person and suffer from acid reflux. i was prescribed omeprazole to take every morning. and it works. I used to suffer from nightly heartburn that was unbearable, and kept me from sleeping. if anything, being a little tipsy helped me sleep through it.

+1 to omeprazole (also known as prilosec). I’d hate to have to quit drinking beer because of heartburn.

good luck to ya

Heartburn used to be a daily thing for me, then I started running almost daily. Heartburn is now a thing of the past, for me.

Been looking for an excuse to start exercising again. If 20 mins on an elliptical machine will prevent my symptoms I might just stick with it.