Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Home Made Fermentation Chamber

Above is the fermentation chamber I built using an old mini fridge. I started it up last week and it works perfectly. Set the temp at 50° + or - a degree and it’s rock steady. I used scrap plywood and 2x4s and bought some new R4 foam. I put a lid with hinges on top and a door on the end with latches. I used the good foam seal and it’s air tight. I may actually have to stick a heater in it for fermenting ale this winter. But I should be able to brew lager year round. I added some white contact paper to the floor to aid in the inevitable spill. So far it’s working perfectly. Not sure how well it will work for brewing lagers in the hot Georgia summer but it seems to be almost air tight and holds the cold in really well.

That’s pretty nice. I wish I had room for a larger fermenting chamber, something I could get 3 or 4 buckets in.

That will hold 3 buckets or 3 carboys no problem. It is a bit of a monstrosity and takes up quite a bit of room in the garage. By the time I put my keezer in there I’ll be parking outside :slight_smile:

My fermentation chest freezer holds five easy, a sixth will fit but then they are hard to remove. And I still find times I wish it was bigger.

My fermentation chest freezer holds five easy, a sixth will fit but then they are hard to remove. And I still find times I wish it was bigger.[/quote]

I can’t believe just last summer I gave away a huge chest freezer and a huge GE Profile refrigerator …both were old and ugly but in perfect working condition

My kids got me a brand new 7 CU foot chest freezer just for me to convert to a Keezer. I thought it was going to hold 4 Corney kegs but will only fit 3. It will still make an awesome Keezer. I will be converting it soon but for now I just plan to run the temp controller over the top and use picnic taps. Trying to talk the better half into putting it in the living room but so far that has met with impossible resistance :frowning:

With a tall collar you cold get that fourth keg in the 7ft freezer on top of the compressor.

Nice contraption. I’ve been comtemplating somethign along those lines using a small AC unit. I need something for my conical, and I figure as long as I’m doing that it might as well hold a fermentor or two as well.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]With a tall collar you cold get that fourth keg in the 7ft freezer on top of the compressor.

Nice contraption. I’ve been comtemplating somethign along those lines using a small AC unit. I need something for my conical, and I figure as long as I’m doing that it might as well hold a fermentor or two as well.[/quote]
Hi Lennie, Thanks I didn’t even think about adding a big collar. I’m still mulling around how I want that keezer to be. For the time being I will just use it as is.

Making one with a small AC unit should be easy. I would build the frame from 2x4s with a plywood floor and then line it with the heavy 3" foam. That would work perfect for ales but I’m not sure if you could maintain a 50ish temp for lagers?

I’ll need a temp controller to get down to 50F, and will have to move the temp sensor on the AC unit to outside the box since it only goes down to 60F.

As for using a freezer with picnic taps, thats what I’ve been doing to around three years now. I periodically mull over the idea of making a keezer.

My fermentation chest freezer holds five easy, a sixth will fit but then they are hard to remove. And I still find times I wish it was bigger.[/quote]

I can’t believe just last summer I gave away a huge chest freezer and a huge GE Profile refrigerator …both were old and ugly but in perfect working condition

My kids got me a brand new 7 CU foot chest freezer just for me to convert to a Keezer. I thought it was going to hold 4 Corney kegs but will only fit 3. It will still make an awesome Keezer. I will be converting it soon but for now I just plan to run the temp controller over the top and use picnic taps. Trying to talk the better half into putting it in the living room but so far that has met with impossible resistance :frowning: [/quote]

Your chamber looks great- lots of room. I plan on making a keezer soon myself. Glad i read this post as i was going to go with a 7 cu. ft. also, but i’d like at least 4 corny’s. I think i’ll build a raised box on top of cover with taps instead of a collar. Let us know what you come up with. Prost! :slight_smile:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com