Hoff Steven's keg for a solera

Put 2 holes in the bung you can purge and push out beer through it

So how does this work? The regulator goes to those threads and the barb is where the beer will come out?

The barn would be the gas. Unscrew that top coupling and there is a ball float in there remove it and you can drop a siphon tube in there or use it to connect a jumper to another keg

Hmm ok. Would a perlick with an adapter fit right on there if I wanted to pour from it?

Sure if you can make the connection with some fittings. I just have a simple picnic tap on mine

I gotta look… I don’t recall any threads… And all the guts are gone from mine… Sneezles61

Definitely doesnt have any threads and mine has the ring to remove it

I converted one of these to a fermenter many years ago. I pulled the guts out of it, then strapped it horizontally to a little flat bed cart. I bunged the side (serving port) and use what was the side port as the filling and transferring hole (w/ large bung and airlock).

I didn’t serve out of it, and it was kind of a pain to clean. I decided to keep it amply supplied with brett and oak cubes for aging, and just kept topping it off with fresh wort when the time was right.

Life happened, so I don’t use it much these days, but it was a lot of fun!

1 Like

Did you use wooden bungs? I just drilled out this old crusty one in my keg. It was in there very well

Isn’t there a company that sells all the gizmos needed for that… Look up firkins… Sneezles61

No, I believe they’re rubber or silicone (like most stoppers). I can’t recall the sizes I needed, but I can try to remember to look when I get home. The side bung (big hole) was also wood on mine. I had to take a chisel and hammer and break it apart.

@sneezles61 - If I recall, the shive bung (big hole) might work for a Hoff Stevens keg, but the keystone bung (small hole) is too large diameter. Cask bungs are typically single use as well.

1 Like

I don’t think the generally took out those bungs. I’m sure the steam cleaned them intact and just refilled them. Like I said I think they were a backup safety release valve so I’m not surprised their hard to get out

1 Like

Yeh I just need to figure out what I’m going to do with the other opening now. It has the ring that I removed and can twist, then pull out the unit which is attached to the dipstick. Not sure what to do here

Why is this topic in the Yeast Page?

I was thinking of it as a fermentation vessel so that’s why I posted it here.

Well you can put another bung in that hole as well or just put the spear back in and leave it

I was thinking about reinstalling it but it’s pretty gunked up. I’ll have to see if it cleans up well. Pretty interesting that the keg has whole leaf hop debris inside of it. I’m assuming it hasnt been used in over a decade or so but it is stamped to a local Portland brewery.

Probably why it was taken out of circulation. I think whole hops were used alot more before there was so many varieties pelletized. I would get another bung for that whole as well. Your not building pressure. See if you can get a cork one

Yeh that’s what I will try to find

Not only will the cork swell I think maybe you can get a little oxygen infusion to simulate a wooden barrel. Think about adding a stave or something as well