Hmmmm

I just popped a bottle of Hop Hammer that I brewed 6/13/10. I saved a case because it seemed way too hoppy…if that is possible. It’s still very hoppy, but is very clear and carbonated perfectly. It does have a bit of a grassy flavor and some warm alcohol…maybe a bit astringent. I would be interested to see what someone that has a better palette would have to say. Maybe I will enter it in a contest.

What category would a IIPA go?

Interestingly, after 2 1/2 years it is still drinkable. I haven’t puked yet! :cheers:

Here is a link to the recipe.

[quote=“BeerMeDean”]I just popped a bottle of Hop Hammer that I brewed 6/13/10…
Interestingly, after 2 1/2 years it is still drinkable. I haven’t puked yet!..
:cheers:
[/quote]

Drinkable?!?!
Hell, a beer like that is just reaching it’s peak in my book!
Only thing I’d do different is to let this kind of brew bulk age
(in keg or carboy), and then dry hop it a month or so before serving (or bottling) it.

The recipe references a dry hop, but I don’t see any in the hops list.

What was your “hop” expectation for a recipe with that much hops?

A well made homebrew should be “drinkable” for years, even if its not a crazy strong one. One of the things I miss from my bottling days is I used to routinely hold back a bottle or 3 for extended aging.

A crazy strong IIPA like that one, practically requires extended aging. 2.5 years isn’t that big of a deal. As to contest category, I’m too lazy to look it up but I’m pretty sure double IPA has its own category these days. Check out the BJCP style guidelines page.