Hmm seeems I let my temps get a little low last night

I built myself one of those handy dandy pink fermentor cooler boxes. I am still getting the hang of its thermostat (this is my 1st run in it). This morning I noticed that my temp had slipped down to 58. It had been a nice 62-64 (RIS - NB - calles for 62 for primary). I noticed that my blow of tube is showing considerable reduction in action since last night. Yes it has been since sunday it was brewed but I wonder if I may have put my lil workers to sleep. I have bumped up the thermostat but shout I swirl (there is still a nice 4 inch krausen on top) and reagitate or just let it sit??

Barry

I say wait and see for a bit

What yeast did you use?

I used the other yeast option. I had/have wyeast American ale yeast on hand so after checking and making sure that it was ok for an imperial stout, I used it. Can’t remember the number. I’ll edit this later when I have my records around.

Barry

Took a look. That would be wyeast #1056.

Let it sit and slowly bring your temps back in line. It should be fine. After 4 days your blowoff tube should be slowing a bit anyway.

[quote=“Vulkin’”]I used the other yeast option. I had/have wyeast American ale yeast on hand so after checking and making sure that it was ok for an imperial stout, I used it. Can’t remember the number. I’ll edit this later when I have my records around.

Barry

Took a look. That would be wyeast #1056.[/quote]

1056 works okay down into the 50s.

If yeast can handle sitting in the fridge before we make our beer, then they can handle this dip in temp. Like someone else said, return it to temp and let it do its thing.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Vulkin’”]I used the other yeast option. I had/have wyeast American ale yeast on hand so after checking and making sure that it was ok for an imperial stout, I used it. Can’t remember the number. I’ll edit this later when I have my records around.

Barry

Took a look. That would be wyeast #1056.[/quote]

1056 works okay down into the 50s.[/quote]

I’ve fermented beers with 1056 down to 58F in the past, my opinion is you are fine.

Thanks all,

Guess I a bit of a nervous dad with this one (these Imperial Stout AG kits ait cheap ya know). I had it in the 62 range by this morning, still slowely nudging the termo upwards. I kinda want to be easing in just under 66 by the end of the weekend. Plan is to then slowely warm to 68 until day 14. Then Secondary (yea I know but this will sit for a while so secondary it is) at 70 for a few weeks.

BTW I am getting MUCH less heat about my “brewery” now that I don’t have to have the house so cold to keep my temps down!! The pink box works;)