Hmm.. Is this normal?

Hi All,

This is my second brew, so a lot of things are still very new to me.

Please take a look at the picture below. Is this overflow normal? Should I clean out my airlock or just leave it for now and let the yeast do its job?

Brewing: Dogfish 60min Clone

That is the sign of active yeast! What is the ambient temp of that room?

Two cheap things to pick up on our host’s site for your next brew (that will last your next several brews!)

-temp strips
-fermcap

To your question, I would not worry too much about the blowoff, but to put your mind at ease, pick up a $0.75 spray bottle, mix up some sanitizer (I prefer Star-san because its no-rinse) in it, and keep it on hand (it will usually last a month or so once mixed, and retain its sanitizing, bacteria-killing pH). Take the stopper and airlock out, rinse it well, spray/spot-sanitize the mouth of the carboy and the airlock/stopper, wait 60 seconds, and put everything back in place.

Next time, u can either use fermcap to prevent that level of krausen or use a blowoff tube instead of the airlock (just google them).

Awesome! Thanks so much for the reply and I will definitely pick that stuff up.

The temperature of the room averages around 60 or a couple degrees cooler.

Get a blowoff tube on that thing! But yeah, definitely clean out the air lock. If that clogs too much, the top will blow off and you’ll have quite a mess to clean up. It’s happened to me 2x and I have the stains to prove it :lol:

The wife was :x

Yeah, if you are plugging up the airlock, it is only a matter of time before she blows. At a minimum, take it out and clean it up and replace with foil until it slows down a bit.

Thanks for the tips!

[quote=“anthonycortese9”]Hi All,

Please take a look at the picture below. Is this overflow normal? Should I clean out my airlock or just leave it for now and let the yeast do its job?

Brewing: Dogfish 60min Clone[/quote]

[quote=“anthonycortese9”]Hi All,

Brewing: Dogfish 60min Clone[/quote]

:shock: That’s a solid brew!

I’ve had blow-offs like that, pulled the air lock and it blew out of my hand.

You’re best to pull it before it does.