Hinterland Saison

Has anyone tried this? It’s become one of my favorites and I’d like to replicate it. I figured I’d start with the Saison kit obviously, but then what would be the best yeast? Any thoughts on if I’d also need to add some peppercorns? For those that haven’t tried it, it has a very strong pepper taste, but not aroma, and that’s what I want.

I haven’t seen that one yet. I’ll have to look for it.

Last Saison I made was with Wyeast’s Saison yeast (3724?). It took forever to finish. I had coriander in mine but no peppercorns. Good luck!

I finally found Hinterland’s Saison and I can’t say that I liked it. The spicing tasted “off” to me and tasted like I would imagine dirty dishwater to taste. Was not a fan. :frowning:

I have a bottle in the closet, but have not tried any yet. I like saisons, but I find they have a unique taste, and take some getting used to. I brewed one a few months ago, and it turned out nice. It doesn’t have the spice/peppery finish I like in a saison, but it’s still very enjoyable.

I’m a big fan of saisons too. I really like DuPont’s. I can honestly say this is the first one I’ve had that I didn’t care for. I have two bottles left so I’ll see if it grows on me. :slight_smile:

[quote=“PPDude72”]

Last Saison I made was with Wyeast’s Saison yeast (3724?). It took forever to finish. I had coriander in mine but no peppercorns. Good luck![/quote]

Yeah, that 3724 likes it HOT! Took forever to finish my last saison…

I just got turned on to Hinterland’s Saison both on tap and bottle. I have to say it is one unique flavor that imparts a lot of earth and spice. I’ve learned that Hinterland’s Saison layers several spices that give it such a unique flavor. I’m on a mission to make a recipe as close to it as possible. I would however like it to be less than 6.5% only because I want to enjoy a few at a time in the heat of summer. I know for certain it contains lemongrass.

Cheers, Mike