Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

High temp off flavors

Can you get off flavors after fermentation? I have a chest freezer for controlling temps but had to take beer out earlier than normal to make room for my next batch. I do 10 gal batches in two fermentors. So identical beers, each with a pack of us-05, fermented at 64 for 10-12 days then removed from the freezer. Within the next couple days i kegged one. It is one of our best beers. The other sat out at ambient temp in the brewery which varies with the outdoor temps. 80s during the day 60s at night. We bottled this batch which now is about 3 weeks old and has what seems like fusel offlavor. Can this develop after fermentation?

You might be surprised at how long it can take to bottle condition properly. I know 3 weeks is thrown around pretty frequently, but my bottled beers don’t hit their peak until at least a month in the bottle.

For what it’s worth, I frequently remove my beers from temperature control once the bulk of fermentation is over (usually about a week). This summer, they’ve been sitting in the 70s-80s for weeks before packaging, and are bottled and stored in the 70s-80s. They’ve turned out consistently delicious, but only after bottle conditioning for a while.

Regardless, your process does not sound like it could produce fusel alcohols. Give it some time and I bet it will clear up.

[quote=“KISS Brew”]You might be surprised at how long it can take to bottle condition properly. I know 3 weeks is thrown around pretty frequently, but my bottled beers don’t hit their peak until at least a month in the bottle.

For what it’s worth, I frequently remove my beers from temperature control once the bulk of fermentation is over (usually about a week). This summer, they’ve been sitting in the 70s-80s for weeks before packaging, and are bottled and stored in the 70s-80s. They’ve turned out consistently delicious, but only after bottle conditioning for a while.

Regardless, your process does not sound like it could produce fusel alcohols. Give it some time and I bet it will clear up.[/quote]
The thing is that the half of that batch that I kegged is fine. The only difference is that the one with the off flavor got warmer after fermentation than the other.

I’m under the impression that bottle conditioning takes longer to hit the same quality as kegging beers. This may be way wrong, since I only bottle and do not keg.

I’m under the impression that bottle conditioning takes longer to hit the same quality as kegging beers. This may be way wrong, since I only bottle and do not keg.[/quote]

Youre probably right in that when bottling you put the beer through another mini fermentation. I found this off flavor in the beer before I bottled it though.

I do that routinely due to batch size and not enough cold space to accommodate 4 kegs. Can’t say I have noticed much difference in the first to the last even when it may be a month at room (low 70’s summer) before tapping it.

Do you prime the kegs or force carbonate? Adding sugar is a different animal than forcing it. I kind of gave up on it due to varying results. Force carbonated and the beer reached your expected terminal gravity there doesn’t seem to be any reason this would happen with good sanitation. Hope it turns around with some time and chilling.

I bottle (unfortunately) and have been wondering about this for awhile. I just got a nice fermenter built and am fermenting the first batch using it now. I am concerned about what will happen when I bottle and then keep the beer in the 80-90 attic. I’ll post if I get any goofy flavors.

I force carb the kegs. This off flavor was in the beer in the secondary, before bottling, before priming. This beer probably saw 80 degrees after fermentation and the kegged did not. Thats the only difference between the two. Other than sanitation. Thats possible. Can you get fusel kind of taste from sanitation issues?

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com