High OG?

My recipe called for an OG of 1.058 on 10 gallon. I ended up with an OG of 1.066 on 10.5 gallon. Is this a problem?

All temps where dead on.
Sacch rest at 156 for 60 minutes. Mashout at 165 for 10 minutes.

1 Like

1st off, congratulations on getting a higher mash efficiency than predicted! For me, it’s always a pleasant bonus when that happens. 2nd, it all depends on what you want. 8 points over on your OG, assuming you get a normal fermentation, will give you about another 1% on the ABV. Is that OK with you? Or have you done that recipe enough times that you know you prefer it at the original OG? You can always add a little more topoff water to drop the OG. Otherwise, let her fly.
Oops- just saw it was a 10G batch. So if my calculations are right, that’s just a 0.5% increase in ABV for 10G.

1 Like

Always, at about the 10 minute stage, I check my SG and do the calculations to adjust my OG- add some DME, add some extra water, boil a little longer, add some honey(which I use instead of sugar, being a frustrated ex-hippie-want-to-be). Occasionally I still screw up and wind up with something that is off my projected ABV, but I’m more often pretty darn close to where I want to be…

2 Likes

I don’t mind the extra ABV. Just kinda knew at brewing.
Especially AG. And first 10 gallon batch. So wasn’t sure if I needed to thin it out.

Thanks for the advice.

You will find that as you brew, you will find out what yer efficiency is, then, you will be able to dial in where you want yer ABV to be… going over, well, you did well, going under, you need to compensate for yer short comings… Sneezles61

1 Like

I guess it also depends on the non-fermentables in the wort.

Has anyone seen if the amount of left over hops or even proteins from chill haze can lead to higher SG than anticipated? I would think this would make a more dense beer and make for a higher SG, but I’m just guessing.

If your using a refractometer that probably isn’t the case. But congrats on getting all those sugars out. For most people it’s difficult to hit the SG numbers.

Hop debris and proteins may be present in the beer but they aren’t dissolved in the beer. They won’t affect the density of the beer measured by a hydrometer. I would guess they can affect a refractometer reading because light refraction would be changed slightly.

Edit: Did some more reading. Yeast being on the cellular level can dilute the beer lowering the SG. Hop articles no change.

How much yeast will it take to change the SG 0.001?

I was curious, so I google-bing’d it. This Q&A may be helpful.