High Mash Temp In IPAs?

So this is more of a Sierra Nevada Torpedo vs Lagunitas IPA. Both have been quoted on The Brewing Network interviews as having quite a high mash temp. Torpedo is around 156 and Lagunitas IPA is more like 160. But I find the Lagunitas IPA to be MUCH more dry than Torpedo. Any insight as to why this is?

Could be more hops.

That occured to me, as well. I’m not thinking so, however. Maybe it’s more recipe based. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sierra Nevada is using more crystal malt.

That occured to me, as well. I’m not thinking so, however. Maybe it’s more recipe based. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sierra Nevada is using more crystal malt.[/quote]

I sure find the Lagunitas a lot more bitter than Torpedo.

That occured to me, as well. I’m not thinking so, however. Maybe it’s more recipe based. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sierra Nevada is using more crystal malt.[/quote]

I sure find the Lagunitas a lot more bitter than Torpedo.[/quote]

It’s probably a combination of more bittering and less crystal malt, then. Thanks for the thoughts, Denny!

What’s the Lagunitas house yeast?

^^^ the BN guys via there interviews with Lagunitas have stated its either the same as The Fullers strain or something close, so wlp002 or wyeast 1968.

My guess is the higher mash temp is to get more Malt body of the beer, higher mash temp results in more unfermentable sugars, giving more malt flavor. The balance is that 154 deg range. Perhaps the idea was to try and balance the hops with malt without increasing the grain bill and making it higher abv.