High gravity beer question?

Hello I brew a Oatmeal stout last Thursday an pitch the yeast on early Friday morning an it start fermenting the same day so it been 5day an it pretty much finished. Well here the problem this beer was supposed to have a OG of 1.055 but for some reason I guessing because I double mill my grain at 0.025 for BIAB brewing I got 1.075 well today aka 5days since I pitch an it fermented I took a hydrometer sample an the Correct gravity is 1.022. The yeast I use was Omega Hothead yeast I did do a 1L starter an did 2min of pure O2 an fermented it at 75f see I am asking this because this is my first beer to have such a high OG I usually brew beer’s that are between 1.040 to 1.060. So I am Thinking I need to let it set for another week or two to see if the Gravity would come down any more than 1.022…

Kviek yeast is a beast and can reach a FG rather quickly. And depending on your grist and mash temps 1.022 isn’t too far out of the realm of FG. Regardless if it’s only been 5 days the yeast needs much more time to clean up after their big party. Leave it be.

2 Likes

Hello here a copy of my recipe from Beersmith mobile 3 https://imgur.com/gallery/QqzphIN… See this my only second time using Hothead yeast an my first time ever brew something this high in gravity usually I am brewing beer’s in the 1.040 to 1.060… I think about leaving my oatmeal stout until next Friday which would be the 2 week mark I think that would be long enough or should I go longer??

Not bad after 5 days. But i would let it stand. Kveik yeast. Has the tendency. To start fast. The first 5 days. Than seems to slow down. At 1.020. But if you leave it be. After 10 days. You might be around. 1.010. Let it clean by it self.

Just curious why you double mill your grain for biab? At .025 gap I was getting close to 90% running it through once. I’ve since dialed it back to .030 to keep it around 80% which is more consistent with others recipes and what alot of my older mash tu recipes where calculated. I know this is not your question just asking. As far as higher gravity bees I find it best to let them sit about 3 weeks. As the ABV goes up the yeast slows down . Nothing worse than bottle bombs or gushers

1 Like

Good call. Waiting is almost always the answer. I have found that with Stout that with the specialty grain, especially the dark ones, your FG will be higher. I was also concerned (not worried lol) that it was too high and fiddled around trying to drop it only to find that 1.02x might just be it.

1 Like

Patience is your friend as others have said. I brew some high gravity beers and have found they slow down as they near terminal. Please let us know how things end up?

The longer the high Alc beers sit, the better they become. This will not be ready for Christmas… maybe Superbowl.

2 Likes