Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

High FG help!

I brewed up a double ipa. Hit 1.089 for OG. Made a 1L starter 3 days prior, aerated well, and used wyeast nutrient added in the boil. I live in a basement apt and it can get fairly cool in the winter months. Fermentation kicked off good with no problems. But after two weeks in the fermenter I checked the temp and it was at 61. I used 1056 and I know thats on the low end of the temp range for that strain. So I took a reading and its at 1.028. That freaked me out a bit. So I took the plunge and built my own temp controlled vessel with foam insulation board and a temp controller. I roused the yeast up shaking the bucket a bit and warmed it up to 70 for 2 days. Took a reading and its at 1.027 now. I’m expecting a high fg due to the high og but 1.027 seems too high to me. I taste tested and its definitley too sweet for my liking. Any suggestions? I’d like to see it hit at least 1.023. Am I just stuck with a high fg? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edit: I forgot to mention: mash temp was 152 for 60min also added 2lbs corn sugar to have a lighter body and dry it out some.

4 gravity points isn’t going to make a world of difference to the taste. I’d guess that it’s done. Are you sure your thermometer was accurate? Did you use much crystal malt?

Have you calibrated the hydrometer?

@Denny I did use a pound of caramel 40(which i know is on the high end) My malt bill was 12.75lbs Golden Promise 1lbC40 and 2lbs Sugar. And yes my thermometer is accurate.

@a10t2 I haven’t done that and that may be my issue so I will look into doing that this evening.

Thanks for the help guys.

Well, I don’t see anything out of line in your grist bill.

Ok, again thanks for the input. I spose I’m just going to have a 1.027IIPA ha. I did let it sit in the primary for 3wks before I transferred it to make sure it was done. Either way I’m sure my buddies will love it.

With that high of an og would maybe a 2liter starter be more appropriate or at least a stepped up starter?

@dsidab81 I agree with you on that note. If I brew this one again I will definitley be making a 2L starter on a stir plate. I know the beer will be fine just wanted it to finish out as much as possible.

Dry hopping may be in order to balance the sweetness.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com