High Carbonation

A couple questions from a rookie. I brewed a 5 gallon batch of Chinook IPA using a kit from NB. I boiled about 7 weeks ago and just opened a couple of bottles and I have to admit it tasted very good. It poured nice and had a great, long lasting head but the carbonation was higher than I like. When I take a sip it feels like the beer has been shaken up. I think I already know what happened but I wanted to get some input from the forum. I used the package of sugar from that came with the kit and mixed it per the recipe. However, I only had about 4 gallons of beer on bottling day due to some rookie mistakes that I won’t go into. Is this the source of my high carb problem or are there other things that can cause this? I take it I should have only used about 80% of the sugar solution. Will the carbonation go up, down or stay about the same as it conditions in the bottle? I have another batch fermenting that will be ready to bottle soon. I have since found the Priming Sugar Calculator on this site and will use it in the future. Thanks.

That is definitely the source of your carbonation issue :slight_smile:

The carbonation won’t change while in the bottle. I would just pour a glass and let it sit for a little to decarb. You could let your bottles warm up to room temp, open them and recap them. It’s a hassle and wastes a lot of caps but it might be worth it if its undrinkable as is.

Also in the future use this (

) calculator to give you exact amounts of priming sugar to use for certain styles. Not all styles of beer use the same amount of priming sugar

[quote=“mattnaik”]Also in the future use this (

) calculator to give you exact amounts of priming sugar to use for certain styles. Not all styles of beer use the same amount of priming sugar[/quote]
+1 I was copying the ling for this but you beat me to it! :cheers:

Thanks for the quick response guys. Love this forum. :cheers: