Here's To A Brew-Filled 2013!

I was looking through my brewing log of last year and was shocked and saddened to see I only brewed 4 batches! The previous years i was around once a month. I guess I had a busy work year, which isn’t a bad thing…but it did seem I was always low on beer this past year.

Today I brewed my first batch of 2013, and I’m already planning another brewday for Friday, so I can start off 2013 right.

Cheers!

Counting back, I did either 8 or 9 brew days last year and felt I did not brew enough. First brew for 2013 will be mid-week next week. Brew often, brew happy.

33 batches last year. And two so far this year. If I had open carboys I would brew more this weekend. I have four primaries full and one secondary. Will have to wait at least one more week before I can transfer something to secondary and open up a primary.

Amen brotha! 2012 was slightly down for me too. My wife and I had or first child. I lost my job, which gave me a LOT of time to brew, but then I got a new job and that time went away. But since the beginning of December, I’ve managed to get 5 brew days in and I have a double brew weekend planned for next weekend. Things are looking up! Now I just need this kid to grow up so I have an assistant.

Last year was maybe 12-14 batches. Pretty typical for me.

This year so far, I have 2 batches in the carboys. On pace for a good year! :cheers:

I did a healthy 23 batches last year which keeps my pipeline filled. I usually brew every other week. Oh, I should mention that they are 22-23 gallon batches.

This year, I have only brewed once. Mostly because I am running low on base malt and my supplier is only open until 5pm.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]I did a healthy 23 batches last year which keeps my pipeline filled. I usually brew every other week. Oh, I should mention that they are 22-23 gallon batches.

This year, I have only brewed once. Mostly because I am running low on base malt and my supplier is only open until 5pm.[/quote]

Very nice, but I have to ask how much help do you have in drinking it? What is your yearly brewing costs? And lastly, brewing that much, what if any piece of equipment wears out, or needs maintained?
Or better yet, what did you find to be the weakest link in your system you had to replace, or stop using?
You the man! :cheers:

[quote=“MollyHatchet”][quote=“MullerBrau”]I did a healthy 23 batches last year which keeps my pipeline filled. I usually brew every other week. Oh, I should mention that they are 22-23 gallon batches.

This year, I have only brewed once. Mostly because I am running low on base malt and my supplier is only open until 5pm.[/quote]

Very nice, but I have to ask how much help do you have in drinking it?[/quote]I split my batches with my neighbor behind me.[quote=“MollyHatchet”]What is your yearly brewing costs?[/quote]I don’t know because I don’t track it. I suppose I still spend more on commercial big beers to lay down than I do on homebrew upplies.[quote=“MollyHatchet”]And lastly, brewing that much, what if any piece of equipment wears out, or needs maintained?[/quote]Nothing wears out that I can think of. I put most everything away in as good or better condition than when I took it out and it should last a lifetime.

[quote=“MollyHatchet”]Or better yet, what did you find to be the weakest link in your system you had to replace, or stop using?
You the man! :cheers: [/quote]I had to add a second CFC so I can chill as fast as the pump will empty the brewpot (summer months). I use the March 809 pump but with the larger 815 impeller.

I’m definitely going to brew more this year. 2 batches in the carboy so far, grain crushed for the next, 4 more recipes in line with all the ingredients ready. The first 2 are small and quick, so my 13’ pipeline will be flowing within 3 weeks.

Brewing the 3rd of the year this weekend. Doing something a little different. An single hoped american English premium bitter.

English malts, yeast, american hops.

Seven Seas Bitter

Recipe specifics:

Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.5 gal
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.012
Bitterness (IBU): 28.9
Color (SRM): 9.6
ABV: 4.5%

Grain/Sugars:

8.25 lb Maris Otter Malt, 91.7%
0.50 lb Crystal 70-80L (British), 5.6%
0.25 lb Special Roast, 2.8%

Hops:

0.50 oz Falconer’s Flight Seven Seas (AA 9.9%, Pellet) 60 min, 18.0 IBU
0.50 oz Falconer’s Flight Seven Seas (AA 9.9%, Pellet) 20 min, 10.9 IBU
0.50 oz Falconer’s Flight Seven Seas (AA 9.9%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

S-04 English Ale Yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

May only thoughts are maybe upping the flameout addition to a full oz. Still haven’t decided yet.