Help!

Ugh. I was making the Waldo Lake Amber Extract Kit and I spazzed out and added the sugar at the beginning of my boil along with the hops instead of adding it at the end. Is this going to ruin my beer?? If not, what is it going to do to it and can it be saved?

Ill leave it to the more knowledgeable on this forum but my guess is it won’t matter.

without knowing the hops or amounts its hard to say for sure but I think its not ruined. what will happen if you added all hops at the start of the boil is the beer will be vary bitter. as for the extra sugar, adding that early will cause the beer to be darker in color and possibly have a more caramel taste. all in all it may turn out good. not how it was designed but drinkable. you may have just made your first extra bitter. let us know how it turns out. good luck.

I’m confused, did you add the sugar AND the hops at the beginning, or just the sugar?

With the higher sugar content in the boil you will probably lose 3-4 IBU’s of bittering. I don’t think you will even notice. :cheers:

I thought he was worried about the sugar but he never elaborated. I looked up the recipe and all the hops are added for 60 min. Except for the 1oz of centennial at flame out. So I doubt even if he added all the hops at that time the beer would be ruined. I would get some more centennial and dry hop after two weeks primary. I’m sure the beer will turn out great.

The recipe calls for 1 lb. corn syrup to be added at 0 minutes. I assume that is the sugar he is referring to.

It doesn’t matter a bit. The only reason the sugar is in there is to increase the fermentability of the wort.

When I designed that recipe for NB, I added the sugar at the beginning. Their instructions may be to add it later, but it was formulated to add it in the beginning.

FWIW, there is no Centennial in the original recipe. It should be Amarillo. Apparently, NB was having trouble source Amarillo and subbed in Centennial. It’s better with Amarillo.

When I designed that recipe for NB, I added the sugar at the beginning. Their instructions may be to add it later, but it was formulated to add it in the beginning.[/quote]

Thank you so much, Denny!! That makes me feel much better!

I added the hops when they were supposed to be added, it was the sugar that I added at beginning of my 60 minute boil instead of at the very end, and that was my concern.