Help with my 1st brew

Got a standard kit with Caribou Slobber for xmas. I followed the instructions to the T except my wort may have been a bit too warm when I pitched the yeast. After a week and a half around 65F in my dark closet, no bubbling at all. Can I salvage this batch or should I dump and re-start?

How much too warm? Did you take hydrometer readings? If the yeast was pitched at well over 120F then you may have to repitch some yeast to get fermentation. But it is possible that fermentation happened and your airlock/bung/bucket lid merely had a leak. Is there krausen around the rim at the surface of the wort?

Don’t give up on the batch quite yet. And welcome to the forum and hobby/lifestyle/obsession.

:cheers:

Take a gravity reading. At this point, that’s the only way to know where you’re at with this beer.

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]How much too warm? Did you take hydrometer readings? If the yeast was pitched at well over 120F then you may have to repitch some yeast to get fermentation. But it is possible that fermentation happened and your airlock/bung/bucket lid merely had a leak. Is there krausen around the rim at the surface of the wort?

Don’t give up on the batch quite yet. And welcome to the forum and hobby/lifestyle/obsession.

:cheers: [/quote]
I don’t have a hydrometer…yet. This is my first attempt so I will check the bucket when I get home from work and then decide where to go. Thanks for the help!

DUUUUUDE! A hydrometer is a must. Almost as important as a brew pot.

yup. i dont have one cause my grandmother recently went fishing around for some of her things in my garage and dropped some of my stuff. Grandparents am I right?

Anyway, Ive got a batch of cider sitting around that I wanted to check the gravity of, and havent had a chance to run to the store to get a new hydrometer. Needless to say its driving me nuts. I’ll finally be able to get it this weekend.

one thing to check in the meantime: is your lid completely on (assuming you are fermenting in an ale pail…if not, is your carboy bung completely snug?) Also could be a bad rubber gasket around the airlock ‘probe’.

The lid to my ale pail (almost typed ail pale) is tight. And snug bung sounds dirty.