Help with identifying my first infection

Can’t tell if it is infected or not but white film that is slick to touch, almost oderless and so far doesn’t seem to alter the taste. Very white and seems to “fold” when it moves. First attempt at a wild rice ale so don’t know if that has anything to do with it.

Here is the link:

http://imgur.com/3zZ0Nd1

All of this is from my phone so apologies if image size is odd.

Research points to airborne infection so as long as I get it racked soon it should be fine, which is great since I plan on bottling it tomorrow.

Thoughts? Anyone know what it is?
Thanks!

I’ve never seen that before.

My take on infections is that if it smells okay and tastes fine, then it’s good to drink.

I’ve seen that many times. I lose track of what’s what, but it is either Lacto, or that one wild bug that causes a turpentine / rocket fuel flavor. In either case, you’ll want to drink your beer very young before it impacts the flavor. Eventually it will go bad.

I don’t know what it is, but I just had something that looks like the same thing. I’ve been brewing for 13 years and this is the first time I’ve seen it. So far the beer seems fine, but I suspect that Dave is right and the beer will turn at some point. I had a little trouble removing it from my carboys too. PBW and brushing didn’t really do much. I finally got rid of it by soaking the carboys in a stronger than normal batch of Starstan.

I wonder if I have something similar with my beer. I opened up my bucket to bottle the beer today and noticed these white particles floating on top. Do you think my beer is bad or is it just remainder krausen floating?

I went ahead and bottled it anyway thinking that it was still good. It still smelled of beer and looked fine.

[quote=“Cloud254AAF”]I wonder if I have something similar with my beer. I opened up my bucket to bottle the beer today and noticed these white particles floating on top. Do you think my beer is bad or is it just remainder krausen floating?

I went ahead and bottled it anyway thinking that it was still good. It still smelled of beer and looked fine.[/quote]

You are fine. No worries. There is a different look batch to batch and yours looks good. Enjoy.

[quote=“scottNU”][quote=“Cloud254AAF”]I wonder if I have something similar with my beer. I opened up my bucket to bottle the beer today and noticed these white particles floating on top. Do you think my beer is bad or is it just remainder krausen floating?

I went ahead and bottled it anyway thinking that it was still good. It still smelled of beer and looked fine.[/quote]

You are fine. No worries. There is a different look batch to batch and yours looks good. Enjoy.[/quote]
Agree. That stuff was just sediment that hadn’t found its way to the bottom yet. And looking around the clots, the rest of the bucket looked pretty clear, so there’s that too.

Thank you guys for your response. I now feel more assured with that batch. I am really enjoying homebrewing and how much I am learning of the process.

That actually happened to me for the first time a month ago. I don’t know exactly what it is but I remember seeing it online a few years ago and someone suggested it was mold. I discovered that mine was the result of a siphon tube that started growing things despite cleaning efforts.

Mine seemed limited to the surface interface like yours. The imperial red the infection was on actually tasted fine so I crushed up five campden tabs with a little water and added it to the carboy. I flushed the airspace with C02 and then gave it a shake to mix. I waited 4 days and it didn’t return so I kegged it and put it under refrigeration. The beer still tastes great.