Help with Hop Bill

I need to clean out the graveyard of hops that is growing in my freezer. An ounce here and an ounce there leftover from brews have added up… Time to make an IPA? Here is the malt bill I will be using.

11lbs US Two Row
3 lbs rye malt
8oz flaked corn
8oz flaked wheat
8oz flaked oats
1 lbs flaked rye
2 oz chocolate malt

This gives me an OG of roughly 1.078

Here are the hops I have to use up.

Sorachi Ace 1.5oz 11AA
Mt Hood 1.5oz 5.9AA
Spalt 1oz 5.3AA
Fuggle 1.5oz 4AA
Stiryan .5oz 1.9AA
Cluster 1oz 6.7AA
Saaz 1.5oz 3.2AA
Tettnang .5oz 4.9AA
Cascade 2oz 8AA
Newport 1oz 9.8AA
EKG .25oz

It would be easy to get over 120 IBUs with this mix of hops. I was thinking of using a hopbursting scheme to keep the IBUs down around 80-90 and focus on hop flavor and aroma. How would you use these hops?

Maybe something like this?
boil 60 min 1oz Cascade
boil 60 min 1.500 oz Cluster
boil 15 min 0.750 oz Czech Saaz
boil 15 min 1 oz Fuggles ~
boil 15 min 0.500 oz Mt. Hood
boil 15 min 0.500 oz Sorachi Ace
boil 15 min 1 oz Spalt Spalter
boil 15 min 0.500 oz Styrian Goldings
boil 15 min 0.500 oz Tettnang
boil 1 min 0.500 oz Cluster
boil 1 min 0.750 oz Czech Saaz
boil 1 min 0.500 oz Fuggles
boil 1 min 0.500 oz Mt. Hood
boil 1 min 0.500 oz Sorachi Ace
dry hop 3 day 0.500 oz Mt. Hood
dry hop 3 day 0.500 oz Sorachi Ace

Thanks!

Dan

That’s a crazy list of hops. Maybe I’m prejudiced because I got burnt overdoing it, but I’m not a big Sorachi Ace fan. Stuff tastes like a dill pickle. I think I’d use that for bittering, than load op on the Nobles for flavor, with a dash of late/dry hopped Cascade to set them off. Btw, that’s a By God Man’s grain bill there - that beer’s going to clang when it walks. Let us know what you come up with, and Godspeed.

If it were me, I’d drop everything but the 2-row and rye from the grain bill, bitter with the Newport & Cluster, use 1 oz of Cascade at 15 minutes, 1/2 ounce of Sorachi at 5 min, 1/2 ounce of Mt Hood at flameout, then dry hop with the remaining Cascade, Sorachi and Mt Hood.

I’m planning on doing the same thing you are, cleaning out my leftover 2012 hops. Of course, I don’t have as many as you, but my plan is too blend them all together and add a little bit every 5 minutes throughout the boil. I’ve done this twice before with good outcome. In your case, I’d drop the Sorachi Ace completely. I’d blend everything together except the Cascade. Add the blend throughout the boil when you see fit. Save the Cascade for dry hopping.

Another idea, brew a Belgian IPA. A mix of both spicy, earthy, European hops and American citrus hops nice in a Belgian IPA.

You have quite the variety. I’d blend them all and use them at 60/15/5/FO and not worry about dry hopping. You won’t get over about 100IBU thats supposed to be max.

I like the lemony character of Sorachi in combination with other citrusy hops.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]You have quite the variety. I’d blend them all and use them at 60/15/5/FO and not worry about dry hopping. You won’t get over about 100IBU thats supposed to be max.

I like the lemony character of Sorachi in combination with other citrusy hops.[/quote]
I second this for the most part- use a big blend. I’ve had good results with skipping the 60 min addition and doing a first wort hop addition at the same projected IBUs as the 60 min. I think I assume 20% utilization for my FWH additions. I get less sharp bitterness and perhaps more flavor this way; particularly good with higher cohumulone hops like chinook but should do well with any hops or, in your case, hop blend.

I like this but I would put the dry hops in at flame out then buy some more fresh hops for the dry hop. You’ll have a few weeks before you need those you can taste it and decide what you think will be the best fresh dry hop. My first thought would be Colombus for dry hop

Yeah, I don’t fuck around when it comes to making beer. Brew like you have a pair, and if they don’t like it, tough sht!

Yeah, this beer will clang when it walks, like a man with brass balls. The flaked grains will give it massive body. Chewbacca will be affixed to the label :wink:

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I am moving my 60 minute hops to a FWH and blending the rest. Half will be set aside for flame out and the rest will be sprinkled in by my wife starting at the 20 minute mark. She has no idea what she is doing, so it will make it a bit more random. I will make a quick tea of the Soracci Ace and Mt Hood hops to see if they are good enough for dry hopping. If not, I will try to get some fresh stuff from the store.

The water has hit the grains… we are knee deep in the haggis, now!! :twisted:

Dan