Help with grain absorption

I want to track a few batches to find my grain absorption. I use beer smith which lists grain absorption fl oz/oz of grain. The default of 0.96 has been consistently low for me, I know I could just add more water but I’d like to have everything dialed in to be as repeatable as possible.

Anyone know a formula to figure grain absorption ?

0.11gals per lb of grain

The default value in Beersmith works fine for me. Tell us more about your process. That may be the issue.

I batch sparge and use a SS braid/bazooka screen. I use a pump to transfer from my MLT to the kettle. I’ve found that after the pump starts sucking air, I can usually get an extra 2 quarts by disconnecting the hose and draining into a container. For the last quart I normally have to tilt the MLT.

The only true way to track is to do the math with your own system.

Track water in minus wort out. The difference is your grain absorption + dead space.

Dead space being the parts of your mash tun that wort cannot be drained from…such as the corners and immediately under the spigot.

For me, it’s about a quart of dead space.

+1 on dead space too.

[quote=“stompwampa”]The only true way to track is to do the math with your own system.

Track water in minus wort out. The difference is your grain absorption + dead space.

Dead space being the parts of your mash tun that wort cannot be drained from…such as the corners and immediately under the spigot.

For me, it’s about a quart of dead space.[/quote]

This. For my mash tun my absorption is 0.1gal/lb, for my BIAB system it’s 0.05gal/lb. Totally system dependent.