Help with an IIPA please

Hi All,
I’ll be brewing a second batch of an IIPA I developed several months ago. It came out so nice, I’m saddened that I’m down to a few pints. My heart tells me to do everything possible to duplicate the original, but my curiosity tells me to put a little spin on it like turning it into a Belgian IIPA. I’ve seen a few posts on this but not sure how to proceed. My original used a 2L starter with WY1272. If I were to go Belgian what would be a good yeast? Would the typical banana/clove/bubblegum flavor hinder a small amount of rye? Thanks, Mike

Post your recipe for more specific advice, but two things to consider: the Belgian yeast is likely to finish lower (if you don’t modify the recipe or mash temp); and, you might want to reduce the IBUs (especially the bittering charge) a little to let the Belgian character come through. For yeast, the 3522 makes a very nice Belg IPA.

I once made a ryeIPA and pitched it with 3068. I was NOT a fan of the beer, but others may have liked it. Search for dampfbier.
To me the rye and the hops didn’t mix well in the one I did.

Here you go guys. Please keep in mind I’m a novice, but I cannot say enough about this batch. Like I said, my heart says leave it alone. Any input is much appreciated however. BTW if I were to brew as the original, I already know I’d lower the rye just a tad (personal pref.). Thanks, Mike

Imperial IPA 03-18-2012

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.082 SG
Estimated Color: 19.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 77.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

(10#)Pale Malt 70.8 %
(1#)Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 7.1 %
(1#)Munich Malt 7.1 %
(1#)Rye Malt 7.1 %
(2oz.)Chocolate Malt 0.9 %
(16oz.)Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM)post high K
.75oz Cascade, .5oz Columbus FWH 60.0 min
.30oz Cascade 30.0 min
.50oz Cascade, .3oz Columbus 20.0 min
.30oz Cascade, .30oz Columbus 15.0 min
.30oz Cascade, .30oz Columbus 10.0 min
.30oz Cascade, .30oz Columbus 5.0 min
.30oz Cascade, .30oz Columbus 1.0 min
.50oz Cascade, .50oz Columbus Flame out
1oz Chinook - Dry Hop 6.0 Days
American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272)

I just kegged and tasted my first home brewed Belgian IPA. I pitched at 70F and fermented warm (mid 70’s) with 3522 because I really wanted the yeast flavors to come through. And they sure did! Lots of contrasting flavors from the malt, hops, yeast. Still a little green, but very tasty. Here’s my recipe.

71% Pale ale
14% Munich
7% Cane sugar
4% Cara-pils
4% Melanoiden

1oz Cascade FWH
1oz Magnum FWH
1.5oz Cascade 15min
1.5oz Czech Saaz 1min
1.5oz whole leaf Cascade dry hop 7 days
1oz whole leaf Perle dry hop 7 days

Wyeast 3522

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]Like I said, my heart says leave it alone.[/quote]Recipe looks fine to me, either with 1272 or something like 3522 - your IBUs are low enough already, so leave the hops as-is if you go the Belgian route. Only thing I would change is to use cane sugar instead of the amber candi.

Thank you Shady. Do you think rye would go okay with a Belgian yeast?

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]Do you think rye would go okay with a Belgian yeast?[/quote]You could drop the rye the first time with the Belgian yeast and save a bottle or two of the original IIPA to compare.