Help with a DIPA and First Wort Hopping

So I’m going to be doing an all grain 1 gallon of a big Full Bodied DIPA using mostly Citra. I want to experiment a bit with first wort hopping, and want to know if:

1. my recipe looks OK for this, (less hops, more hops, how much to add to FWH etc)

2. the method in which I can do this with my BIAB setup.

I mash with a nylon bag stove-top (electric glass-top) and do the “teabag sparge” method of using another pot to heat up some sparge water and then move my grain after 60 minutes there for another 10 minutes before tossing the grain. I get 65%-70% efficiency this way.

From what I’m reading about first wort hopping, I’m still a tad confused on the best time to add the first wort hops. Should I add it into the sparge kettle for 10 minutes and then move it all to my boil kettle or just wait until the “sparge” is done and then add the hops with the sparge water.

My only real recipe restriction is that I was only able to get 1 OZ of Citra, so I was going to use Warrior for bittering, but I’m open to ALL SUGGESTIONS.

And below is my recipe, appreciate any help, thanks!

Name of Brew: Citra DIPA
Entry Category: Imperial IPA
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 1.00 gal
Mash at 154F
Sparge with 165F

Estimated OG: 1.088 SG
Estimated Color: 10.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 107.6 IBUs

Hops Used
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 37.8 IBUs
3.00 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 32.3 IBUs
3.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 15.6 IBUs
7.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 21.8 IBUs
8.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
6.30 g Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Grains Used

Fermentables
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.2 %
3.8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.9 %
1.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.4 %
1.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.4 %

Yeast Used

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.5 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10 -

FWH go into the first runnings of your mash. So with BIAB the hops go into the kettle as soon as you pull the bag. Then sparge and boil making your other hop additions as usual.

As to the IBUs it’s a matter of personal preference or hitting the style, whichever is more important to you. I’m not a major hophead so 107 IBU looks like a lot to me but it’s a 1.088 beer.

I’m not an expert but I understand and have seen the few times I’ve done it, that FWH gives you smoother bitterness than your bittering charge along with similar flavor/aroma to a 20 minute hop charge.

Your bittering hops won’t give you much in the way of flavor or aroma so using warrior to bitter shouldn’t really change the character of your beer.

[quote=“dannyboy58”]FWH go into the first runnings of your mash. So with BIAB the hops go into the kettle as soon as you pull the bag. Then sparge and boil making your other hop additions as usual.

As to the IBUs it’s a matter of personal preference or hitting the style, whichever is more important to you. I’m not a major hophead so 107 IBU looks like a lot to me but it’s a 1.088 beer.

I’m not an expert but I understand and have seen the few times I’ve done it, that FWH gives you smoother bitterness than your bittering charge along with similar flavor/aroma to a 20 minute hop charge.

Your bittering hops won’t give you much in the way of flavor or aroma so using warrior to bitter shouldn’t really change the character of your beer.[/quote]

Yeah the IBUs are high, but from what I’ve read about FWH, you’re not supposed to use less. So while this Beer sits around 90 IBUs for my normal recipe, moving some of the flavor/aroma hops to FWH additions does increase the IBU, though it should be a more mellow bitter as you said.

Or should I maybe lower/drop the warrior? Decisions decisions…

I think you’ll want to keep your bittering hops in there. You won’t get much bittering from the FWH.

From what I understand you’re absolutely right that the IBUs won’t be expressed the same way from the FWH.

[quote=“dannyboy58”]I think you’ll want to keep your bittering hops in there. You won’t get much bittering from the FWH.

From what I understand you’re absolutely right that the IBUs won’t be expressed the same way from the FWH.[/quote]

I posted about trying just FWH on a IIPA (and flameout hops too but no other bittering additions) here:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=121434

I used Beersmith and calculated it to 117 IBUs for a 1.070 beer and it ended up too bitter so your hop calculations sound good based on the IBUs.

[quote=“Meerts”][quote=“dannyboy58”]I think you’ll want to keep your bittering hops in there. You won’t get much bittering from the FWH.

From what I understand you’re absolutely right that the IBUs won’t be expressed the same way from the FWH.[/quote]

I posted about trying just FWH on a IIPA (and flameout hops too but no other bittering additions) here:

I used Beersmith and calculated it to 117 IBUs for a 1.070 beer and it ended up too bitter so your hop calculations sound good based on the IBUs.[/quote]

Well I did read the thread but didn’t really get much out of it.

Do you think it had the same/more/less bittering? What about flavor?

[quote=“Meerts”][quote=“dannyboy58”]I think you’ll want to keep your bittering hops in there. You won’t get much bittering from the FWH.

I used Beersmith and calculated it to 117 IBUs for a 1.070 beer and it ended up too bitter so your hop calculations sound good based on the IBUs.[/quote]

Well I did read the thread but didn’t really get much out of it.

Do you think it had the same/more/less bittering? What about flavor?

So, to sum up, I’m still curious if I should decrease the IBUs for this recipe. I want it to be bitter and hoppy but not undrinkable.

I might just chicken out and just brew normally, since it does say to use low alpha for FWH, and Citra definitely isn’t low alpha.

[quote=“dnedry”]So, to sum up, I’m still curious if I should decrease the IBUs for this recipe. I want it to be bitter and hoppy but not undrinkable.

I might just chicken out and just brew normally, since it does say to use low alpha for FWH, and Citra definitely isn’t low alpha.[/quote]

Mine was a bit too bitter so we’re going to dial back when we try it again. Your numbers would do that (dropping the IBUs a little and raising the OG from mine) so I would say go ahead and brew it. It looks like it would work well.

Thanks guys, I think I’m gonna go for it for the sake of experimentation - it’s only a 1 gallon.

I’ll update with any last minute changes when I decide to do it, might have to put it off because I may have to go out of town this weekend.