Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Help me decide to secondary or not!

Hello,

I have read many posts as to or not to secondary, or just do a long primary and then bottle/keg.

I am still not clear as to what exactly you should be considering in this question. I currently have 2 batches in the basement at different stages.

1 A IPA that has been in the primary for 22 days, 1335 yeast now at 1.08, still pushing off a bubble every few minutes.

2 A California Conmmon that has been in the primary for 9 days, 1056 yeast now at 1.12, gives off a bubble once a minute.

Should I put either into secondary, or just let them ride it out respectively and go right to bottle? Both had a nice healthy starter and fermented very actively at acceptable temps.

Any advice from experienced brewers would be appreciated.

the readings you give , are they the finals because you give 1.08 should it be 1.008? and the 1.12 should it be 1.012? if so then i would go ahead with th ipa and let the other one go awhile longer.

guess i should have been more clear, go ahead and bottle the ipa i wouldn’t secondary. unless you are dry hopping it.

i assume you mean 1.008 and 1.012

personally i would not secondary. i like my ipa’s young and typically bottle at 3 weeks to 1 month. i dont use secondarys anymore after reading many posts on the topic.now i either do extended Primary or age in keg for beers that are worth aging. i also dry hop in the primary, or in the keg.

before you transfer the beer, make sure they are done fermenting. if the gravity remains the same after 3-5 days then its probably done

yes, 1.008, and 1.012. Sorry, could not find the edit on the new site.

yea that kinda sucks, hope they get that fixed.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com