Help! Foamy beer!

It will be fine. A little tweaking and it will be carbed right.

1 Like

My SOP for carbing is 30 psi for 24 hours, drop to 20 psi for 3-4 days, then start sampling. If it needs more, I leave it at 20 psi and pull a sample daily until itā€™s ready. This typically has me carbed in under a week. I have never needed to shake the keg. My serving pressure is right around 8 psi. My 5 lb CO2 tank lasts roughly 6 months.

:beers:
Rad

Just curious, do you hook the gas up as normal? Iā€™ve seen some people attach the liquid disconnect to their gas line and then pump gas through the dip tube so that it bubbles up and through. But Iā€™ve also heard that people sometimes have problems with the beer going back into the CO2 cylinder.

I just use the standard gas fitting on the gas in. I swapped out for one or two but didnā€™t find that it made enough of a difference to justify the change for carbing.

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

I fermented in the keg for an experimentā€¦ It does work, and using different ways to use the quick connects, its not a bad way to goā€¦ Until you have to clean it! That is the main reason I stopped. These corny kegs ARE for serving. Sneezles61

1 Like

So I came home tonight and purged the keg once again like I had been doing the past few days. I turned the CO2 on to serving pressure and poured a glass that was 1/2 beer 1/2 foam. The next glass wasnā€™t so bad and the beer had carbonation unlike when it was all foam and no carb. So while itā€™s not perfect yet, I think we are headed in the right direction. The beer was as you all suggested, overcarbonated. I will probably pull a few pints then purge the keg again and hopefully tomorrow it will be right where I want it. Thanks for all the help and input!!

1 Like

Leave the gas disconnected you have enough pressure from you over carbed beer to fill your glass donā€™t add anymore until it equalizers. If it stops pouring just give it a burst and disconnect.when you stop getting foam hook it back up at ,8 or 10.

2 Likes

@tonydisgis

I found this info on balancing your system interesting and helpful:

1 Like

This should fix your problem. If it doesnā€™t then your lines are too short. Follow @voodoo_donut 's link. Line length can play a huge roll in the quality of your pour. Your system has to be balanced, meaning line length, temperature and carbonation level create an equilibrium. If 39 is going to be your serving temperature then you need to determine the correct CO2 pressure to create the vol level you want and the line length to give your a reasonable pour.

edit: Originally, I used picnic taps I got a perfect pour. When I went to perlick faucets using the lines from my picnic taps I got lots of foam and ended up putting 9 feet of beer line to balance the system though everything else remained the same. The picnic taps offered more resistance in the system than the perlicks and slowed down the pour. Just because the kegerator came with 5 feet of line doesnā€™t mean it will work right for you.

1 Like

I use picnic taps. So when I do a kegerator build, I will use ā€¦ picnic taps!:blush: Sneezles61

1 Like

I use both two kegs in my dedicated serving fridge with regular taps and three in my freezer/fermigerator with picnic taps. All have 5ā€™ lines

1 Like

I would imagine, you walk up to a brew dispenser, grab a cobra, pull it a bit, fill, push it back were you found itā€¦ Simple and doneā€¦ anyone have pictures? Sneezles61

picnic taps get the job done. Simple cheap and easy. Nothing wrong with them at all. I serve from my lager fridge occasionally with them. I like taps through the door on my serving fridge because it looks good and you donā€™t have to open the door every time someone wants a beer.

1 Like

Maybe a new brew ā€™ cobra spitā€™

1 Like

Just be careful with picnic faucets. They have a tendency to open by themselves which results in your beer being dispensed in the bottom of your kegerator.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve hear they can be dangerous. Gotta take care of your snakes" Rici tici tavi is gone" Donavon. Iā€™d forgotten that song havenā€™t heard it in years. Thanks @loopie_beer

1 Like

Not heard of that or experienced thatā€¦ The opening by them selves, yes. Never saw it on the floor of the kegeratorā€¦ :smirk: Sneezles61

I have three going in the fridge and it seemed like I was always bumping them and shooting myself, the floor, or the inside of the fridge with beer. Made little hooks fro them now and have pretty much eliminated the waste.

1 Like