Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Help figuring out efficiency

5 gallon batch Partial mash- 3 gallon boil.

3lb marris otter
.5 medium crystal
.5 torrified wheat

1st runnings I got 1 gallon- gravity was 1.072*
2nd running I got two gallons- gravity was 1.020*

1st + 2nd runnings- 3 gallons total was 1.036*

*These are numbers after i adjusted for temp.

About to start adding the hops! :cheers:

We need post boil gravity and volume to give you your efficiency. Along with your malt extracts.

At least the only way I know how, you would.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]We need post boil gravity and volume to give you your efficiency. Along with your malt extracts.

At least the only way I know how, you would.[/quote]

The problem is with topping off with 2+ gallons its hard to get an accurate gravity reading.

What i did to try to figure it out was change the batch size of the recipe to 3 gallons(My 1st+2nd running/ boil volume) Removed the extract and then changed the overall efficiency until i hit 1.036

I got 70% seems logical to me but im not sure if thats a way to do it

I’m guessing you want to know your mash+lauter efficiency. The easiest way to calculate this is to Google for “mash efficiency calculator” and plug in the pre-boil volume, pre-boil gravity and the grain bill.

[quote=“beerme11”]
What i did to try to figure it out was change the batch size of the recipe to 3 gallons(My 1st+2nd running/ boil volume) Removed the extract and then changed the overall efficiency until i hit 1.036[/quote]
So, you’re using Beersmith or some other app? If you’re using Beersmith, the app will calculate your mash efficiency on the Mash page (after of course providing the required measurements).

assuming 36, 34 and 36 as the extract potential for those grains your eff. was about 75%

36 x 3 = 108 grav units
34 x 0.5 = 17 gu
36 x 0.5 = 18 gu
Total = 143(this would be 100% eff)

You extracted 108 gu (1.036 x 3 gal)

108 / 143 = 75.5%

The extract i used was
muntons light 1.5 pounds and marris otter 3.15 pounds.

so total fermentables
3lb marris otter
.5 medium crystal
.5 torrified wheat
1.5 muntons light DME
3.15 Nb marris otter

I finally figured out how to get a mash ef from beer smith. it said 77% eff of mash. So know the mash eff is between 75-77.

I shook the carboy really well and got a gravitly ready of 1.050. That makes my total efficiency only 55%. I dont understand why that is so low. At 77% total efficiency is should have been 1.057. Could anything else be the cause of this becides the top off water and wort not mixing? I dont see what else would change I didnt miss the brew pot with the extract…

Anyone? Sorry im just really trying to figure this out

For a 5 gallon batch at 1.050 your extract alone would have come to 1.036 for 5 gallons. That means you got 1.014 out of your partial mash for 5 gallons. Your total efficiency for your partial mash was around 50%. Your efficiency for your initial 3 gallon mash was probably around 70% prior to diluting it.

I get a BE of 72.48% for your partial mash using this calculator:

[quote=“erockrph”]I get a BE of 72.48% for your partial mash using this calculator:

[/quote]

I just used the same calculator and got 51.51% eff

Used 5 gal volume and 1.050 OG

Gravity at 100% Efficiency: 	

1.064 - max
Gravity at 75% Efficiency:
1.057
Brew House Efficiency:
51.51%
Points / Pound / Gallon (ppg):
28.9

[quote=“beerme11”]The extract i used was
muntons light 1.5 pounds and marris otter 3.15 pounds.

so total fermentables
3lb marris otter
.5 medium crystal
.5 torrified wheat
1.5 muntons light DME
3.15 Nb marris otter

I finally figured out how to get a mash ef from beer smith. it said 77% eff of mash. So know the mash eff is between 75-77.

I shook the carboy really well and got a gravitly ready of 1.050. That makes my total efficiency only 55%. I dont understand why that is so low. At 77% total efficiency is should have been 1.057. Could anything else be the cause of this becides the top off water and wort not mixing? I dont see what else would change I didnt miss the brew pot with the extract…[/quote]

Either your inital measurement after the partial mash is incorrect or your final measurement is incorrect. After the parital mash you have 108 gravity units( 3 gal @ 1.036) and then you added 4.65 lbs of extract, assuming 43 ppg that’s another 200 gu. So, again assuming the partial mash gravity/volume was correct then your final gravity should be 1.062(308 gu / 5 gallons). So at least one of your readings/volumes are not correct…or like you referenced you missed the pot with some of the extract :wink:

[quote=“muddywater_grant”][quote=“erockrph”]I get a BE of 72.48% for your partial mash using this calculator:

[/quote]

I just used the same calculator and got 51.51% eff

Used 5 gal volume and 1.050 OG

Gravity at 100% Efficiency: 	

1.064 - max
Gravity at 75% Efficiency:
1.057
Brew House Efficiency:
51.51%
Points / Pound / Gallon (ppg):
28.9[/quote]

I just calculated for the 3 gallons that were mashed:

Gravity at 100% Efficiency: 	

1.05 - max
Gravity at 75% Efficiency:
1.037
Brew House Efficiency:
72.48%
Points / Pound / Gallon (ppg):
27

Thanks guys. I’m just trying to figure out where I’m at with mashing. I took a reading on 1st and 2nd runnings when I put those numbers in dilution tool it matchs the three gallon reading I got. So all I think of is that its an issue with top of water giving a low reading. I topped off with close to three gallons. Guess I’ll have to do a small batch so I can be sure. Thanks again

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com