Helles Water

I plan to brew a Helles at some point and have a couple of questions about building the water. Using distilled water, I read someplace to add .3 grams/gal. of MgSo4 and .3 grams/gal of CaCl2 and have 3% sauermaltz in the grist.

1. Is this correct?
    2.Should the sparge water be treated as well? (I am fly sparging)
    Thanks very much.

I don’t see any reason to add Magnesium Sulphate here. Add CaCl2 to the distilled to bring the Ca+ up to ~50 ppm and brew away.

If you are also using the distilled water as the base of your sparge water you may want to acidify it slight with an addition of phosphoric or lactic acid.

Munich water is famously hard and alkaline, but its easily softened by pre-boiling the water. It also has very low chloride and sulfate content. There is a modest magnesium content too. The pre-boiling does not affect the Mg, Cl, or SO4 content.

Brewing a Munich Helles would require pre-boiling the Munich water in order to enable the mash to fall to a proper pH. That boiled water would present a fairly clean perception in the finished beer. That profile does have far less than 40 ppm calcium, but its OK to brew with water like that. Its just that there can be some problems that the brewer will have to deal with. Pitching a lot of yeast and either waiting a long time for the beer to clear or filtering it will take care of most of the problems.

The actual Munich water profile and its boiled version are provided in the Bru’n Water software. You may want to review that software prior to brewing.

I got the salt additions from a web site by brewkaiser. The profile he was shooting for was as follows:
ppm Ca 22, ppm Mg 8, ppm Na 0, ppm So4 31, ppm Cl 39, ppm HCO3 0, alkalinity as ppm CaCO3 0, residual alkalinity as ppm CaCO3 -20. I really don’t want to delve into the chemistry of brew water, just build the water and brew a Helles. My water report from Ward labs is as follows: If I could dilute it and use it I would prefer to do that.
Here’s my water: Na 63, K 2, Ca 71, Mg 21, Total Hardness CaCO3 265, So4-S 15, Cl 71, CO3<1, HCO3 255, Total Alkalinity CaCO3 209. I hope some one can give me a “just add this per gallon” or “just dilute with distilled water and add this” sort of answer.
Thanks so much for any help.

[quote=“1tun”]
Here’s my water: Na 63, K 2, Ca 71, Mg 21, Total Hardness CaCO3 265, So4-S 15, Cl 71, CO3<1, HCO3 255, Total Alkalinity CaCO3 209. I hope some one can give me a “just add this per gallon” or “just dilute with distilled water and add this” sort of answer.
Thanks so much for any help.[/quote]

The link at the bottom of Martin’s post will do that for you. I often use a % of distilled water for my lighter beers and it makes it easy to adjust any mineral content back that is lost by the distilled water dilution.