Hefeweizen yeast

I want to do another traditional Bavarian Hefeweizen in the coming days. I’ve used the Weihenstephaner hefe yeast from Wyeast and been happy with it. But I want to try some other variations (and maybe even a dunkelweizen later).

Does anyone have a recommendation for other yeasts to try here?

You might consider giving White Labs WLP300 or WLP380 a try. I haven’t used them myself, but I’ve heard some good things about them both. Hopefully someone who has used them will ring in…

[quote=“Voodoo donut”]I want to do another traditional Bavarian Hefeweizen in the coming days. I’ve used the Weihenstephaner hefe yeast from Wyeast and been happy with it. But I want to try some other variations (and maybe even a dunkelweizen later).

Does anyone have a recommendation for other yeasts to try here?[/quote]

A couple of years ago I had a dunkel wheat brewed with Wyeast 3056 that was really good.

Thanks for the replies! Our LHBS doesn’t carry White Lab products and ordering yeast by mail is unwise at this time of year. So…that leaves Wyeast 3638, 3056, or 3333 as alternatives to 3068. Or a dry yeast option??
3333 would produce a Kristallweizen not really what I was looking for. Any other thoughts?

I was told once that WB-06[ dry yeast} was same as WLP 380. I tried it and made a good tasting Hefe.
I will use it again. Just pitched it dry out of the pkg. in the fermenter.

I would go with any of the dry hefe yeasts if you can’t get 3068 or WLP380 which seem to be the best. I’ve always wanted to try 3333, which is supposedly the equal of WLP380, so I bet that one would also be worth a shot.

Hmmmmm…After this hefe I see a dunkelweizen using 3333 in my future. Thanks!

[quote=“Voodoo donut”]Thanks for the replies! Our LHBS doesn’t carry White Lab products and ordering yeast by mail is unwise at this time of year. So…that leaves Wyeast 3638, 3056, or 3333 as alternatives to 3068. Or a dry yeast option??
3333 would produce a Kristallweizen not really what I was looking for. Any other thoughts?[/quote]

How do the LHBS get their yeast orders?

I assume you mean liquid yeast? Our LHBS here in Brevard county which also happens to do a fair amount of mail order business through their website is no small shop. I believe they order yeast in bulk through a distributor. Not single packs sitting on a UPS truck somewhere in Georgia at 102 degrees for hours.

I did a side by side ferment with wlp300 and wy3638, the 300 gave a very nice banana ester while the 3638 had a weird pear, apple slight bubblegum ester, I wouldn’t use wy3638 Bavarian wheat again.
With that said wb-06 is ok. this yeast has a nice soft clove/pepper to it. Not much banana or anything. It is the cloudiest yeast I have ever brewed with to be sure, super low floc.

I’ll start with a disclaimer that I am not a big Hefe drinker and I just brewed my first one a couple weeks ago. I used WB-06 pitched directly into the wort. The taste coming out of the fermenter is really good. I fermented at 63 the entire time. It has no noticeable banana flavor and a nice subtle clove/peppery flavor but what I really like is it compliments the wheat flavor really well and allows it to shine through.

So while I can’t really do a comparison I can say that WB-06 makes a very good Hefe.

I used WLP300 in mine. Fermented at the right temp, you’ll find a nice balance of banana and clove.

Definitely use a blowoff tube though, no matter what temp you ferment at. This yeast took off like a rocket.

+1 for WLP300 for dunkelweizens. 300 throws more banana than the others, which I like in a dunkleweizen. IMO nothing beats Weihenstephan Hefe for a straight Hefeweizen.

I used both WLP300 and 380 and had better luck with the 300. It was the same recipe, but the 300 seemed to be a little more tolerant of the ambient temps in my basement for fermenting. The 380 was way too spicy under those conditions. Now that I can lower my temps (bought one of the insulated fermenter bags…works great!) I may try other yeasts next time I roll out the Hefe