Hefeweizen Question

Here is my recipe… 4.75 lbs each of Wheat malt and Ger Pils. .5 oz Sterling. WLP 380 yeast.

I have read that traditional versions have either Victory or Munich as well, or in place of pils… I am not traditional by adding Sterling to start with… Could I perhaps replace 2 lbs of pils with Victory? I’m not doing a decoction mash so could I run the risk of it being too sweet? Please let me know your thoughts!

I’d use a lb or two of Munich, not victory. I’d also add some flaked wheat as well.

I like Munich myself… Okay I will do that. thank you!

A lb (or even a few :slight_smile: ) of flaked wheat adds a nice haze and more “wheat” flavor that you don’t get a lot of when using malted wheat, IMO. I add at least a little flaked wheat to all of my wheat beers. I made a Belgian Witbier with 50% flaked wheat and 50% pils that’s on tap right now. Fantastic beer!

Funny… My wit-less beer was 50 50 flaked to belgian pils… I also added camomile to the last minute!

http://hopville.com/recipe/1319913/weiz ... named-hefe

Adjusted grist…

Looks tasty! :cheers:

MMMMMM. Beer!

Victory wouldn’t make the beer sweet, just give it more of a cracker type flavor than the breadiness of Munich. Plus it’d give more color than light Munich I think. I’d keep the Munich down for that reason. I also use a little Caramunich I, but I use 60% wheat malt so it isn’t too dark.

I use unmalted wheat in my witbier to give it that really white/grey color.

[quote=“Zip100473”]Here is my recipe… 4.75 lbs each of Wheat malt and Ger Pils. .5 oz Sterling. WLP 380 yeast.

I have read that traditional versions have either Victory or Munich as well, or in place of pils… I am not traditional by adding Sterling to start with… Could I perhaps replace 2 lbs of pils with Victory? I’m not doing a decoction mash so could I run the risk of it being too sweet? Please let me know your thoughts![/quote]

I’d leave it as is, maybe a touch of munich.
Sterlings are pretty close to saaz so a good choice.