Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Hazelnut Brown Critique

I bought the 2 row and crystal 60 and 120, and hazelnut extract, as well as the US-05. The other grains I’ll be purchasing locally this afternoon.

4 lbs Golden Light LME (FO)
2.5 lbs 2 row
.5 lbs crystal 60
.5 lb crystal 120
.5 lbs Victory
.25 lbs Briess chocolate 350
2 oz carafa 1 special
2 oz carapils
.75 lbs light DME
1 oz Willamatte @ 60/20/5 mins
hazelnut extract (~3/4 bottle)
US-05

1.052/1.010
20*L
5.5% ABV
25 IBU’s
3.9 gal boil
2.25 gal top off
5.8 gal yield

Ferment 4 weeks @ 64-68*, condition 4 weeks, refrigerate 1 week.

I see no reason that this wouldn’t turn out good.

It’s been several months since I last brewed as I’ve diverted my “allowance” to other hobbies. This is the largest mini-mash I’ve done so far, but for some reason, while I was setting up, I had in mind that I was making my oatmeal coffee stout, which uses more grains/oats. So I made a few mistakes…

I used a little too much (strike?) water to mash. I brought the temp up to 160-165* before I set my grains in, which dropped the temp down to 150*, and I fought to bring that temp up, but for nearly 30 mins it wouldn’t raise much, and I had checked the temp every few minutes. Then I got caught up watching an MMA fight online, and when I checked it again (15 mins or so) it was nearly 180*!!! Hopefully it wasn’t there long enough to do my beer real bad.

I had assumed my efficiency would be lower than the default 75%, but my hydrometer reading was 1.056 when adjusted for temp.

Hopefully I’ll do much better with my stout…

I co authored a book of commercial beer recipes for homebrewers. One we did was the Rogue Hazelnut brown. Here’s the recipe, converted from AG and checked through John Maier.

Hazelnut Brown extract

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.20
Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.10
Anticipated SRM: 19.7
Anticipated IBU: 24.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM

56.1 4.60 lbs. Light Dry Malt Extract 1.046 4
15.2 1.25 lbs. Munich Malt Great Western (2- America 1.035 10
11.4 0.94 lbs. Crystal 75L Great Britian 1.034 75
5.4 0.44 lbs. Brown Malt Great Britain 1.032 70
5.0 0.41 lbs. Crystal 15L America 1.035 15
4.6 0.38 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120
2.3 0.19 lbs. KilnCoffee Malt France 1.031 170

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

0.70 oz. Perle Pellet 8.70 24.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Sterling 2008 Pellet 8.70 0.0 0 min.

Yeast

Mash Schedule

Mash Name:

Total Grain Lbs: 3.60
Total Water Qts: 7.10 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 1.78 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.00
Grain Temp: 65.00 F

Step   Rest   Start   Stop  Heat     Infuse   Infuse  Infuse

Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio

Total Water Qts: 0.00 - After Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 0.00 - After Additional Infusions
Total Mash Volume Gal: 0.00 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
All infusion amounts are in Quarts.
All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.

Thanks Denny!

My LHBS no longer carries brown or coffee malt. What would a good substitute be?

For coffee flavors from grains I’ve been using roasted barley with dark chocolate, and maybe even a small amount of black patent.

There really are no subs for either brown malt or kiln coffee. You pretty much have to have those. FWIW, kiln coffee malt does not impart a coffee flavor.

Denny, thanks for sharing the recipe. No hazelnut extract in there? I did a series of Rogue clones a few years ago, including the HBN. I think it may have been in BYO. Anyway, I skipped the hazelnut extract and it was a good beer. I never did a side-by-side though, and it’s been a long time since I bought a HBN. Does Rogue use an extract, or do they create all of the flavors from grains alone?

Yeah, there sure is…sorry I missed it. Rogue does indeed use an extract. See below…

½ tsp. Northwestern hazelnut extract (see note)

Note: According to Brewmaster John Maier at Rogue Ales, Northwestern hazelnut extract is more potent than other brands. If you use another brand, you’ll have to add it gradually at packaging and taste to ascertain the proper amount.

That’s the one part I’m not too keen with.

I’m using a hazelnut extract sold by MoreBeer (25 ml) that a friend used in a 5 gal batch and had used the entire bottle in. It was too sharp.

I don’t care for tasting my beer along the process. I prefer all of the good beer I can get at the other end. I hate it when I end up with a 3/4 full bottle at the end.

I intend on using 3/4 of the bottle in a 5.8 gal batch. I figure that ought to be fairly close to upfront profile I’ll want. If it’s a bit much hopefully it won’t be by too much rendering it sink food.

[quote=“rodwha”]That’s the one part I’m not too keen with.

I’m using a hazelnut extract sold by MoreBeer (25 ml) that a friend used in a 5 gal batch and had used the entire bottle in. It was too sharp.

I don’t care for tasting my beer along the process. I prefer all of the good beer I can get at the other end. I hate it when I end up with a 3/4 full bottle at the end.

I intend on using 3/4 of the bottle in a 5.8 gal batch. I figure that ought to be fairly close to upfront profile I’ll want. If it’s a bit much hopefully it won’t be by too much rendering it sink food.[/quote]

Why guess? When the beer is done, pour 4 2 oz. samples. Dose each with a different, measured amount of extract. Taste, decide which you like best, then scale that amount of extract up to the batch size. Then bottle or keg.

I know that it makes more sense to try it before you commit. You’ll certainly be more happy with the way it turns out in the end by having 54 great bottles vs 53 good bottles, or worse, 53 not quite right bottles. I don’t care much for the way it tastes at bottling day, and it does bug me when I end up with a short bottle. So much so that I’ve considered looking for small ones! Silly, I know…

It seems that four 2 oz samples would be fairly difficult to deal with as far as scaling extract. Am I misunderstanding?

[quote=“rodwha”]I know that it makes more sense to try it before you commit. You’ll certainly be more happy with the way it turns out in the end by having 54 great bottles vs 53 good bottles, or worse, 53 not quite right bottles. I don’t care much for the way it tastes at bottling day, and it does bug me when I end up with a short bottle. So much so that I’ve considered looking for small ones! Silly, I know…

It seems that four 2 oz samples would be fairly difficult to deal with as far as scaling extract. Am I misunderstanding?[/quote]

All I can tell ya is that it works for me. Pour larger samples if you think it will help.

And yeah, kinda silly…I care more about the quality of the beer than the quantity.

There’s also the less scientific…slightly more risky method of adding small amounts to the bottling bucket on bottling day…mixing well (careful not to oxygenate) and then taste that…adding more and more until perfect.

I recently did that with bourbon for Denny’s BVIP. It worked well.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com