I was thinking about doing a twelve gallon trippel and split into 3 carboys

28lbs Maris Otter single step at 152 for 75
2.25oz Tettnang 60
1.75oz Tettnang 15
3lbs sugar 15

carboy 1 wy3787
carboy 2 T-33
carboy 3 wy1762

I could be off but I figured I would try this the MO, then generation 2 with the belgian abbey malt and see how they go.

[quote=“drdyancey”]I was thinking about doing a twelve gallon trippel and split into 3 carboys

28lbs Maris Otter single step at 152 for 75
2.25oz Tettnang 60
1.75oz Tettnang 15
3lbs sugar 15

carboy 1 wy3787
carboy 2 T-33
carboy 3 wy1762

I could be off but I figured I would try this the MO, then generation 2 with the belgian abbey malt and see how they go.[/quote]

Give it a go and let us know.
Lots of Belgium beers use British hops, why not grains?

Using MO will cause the beer to be a bit darker than using pils malt, but it should make good beer. I made a strong saison using MO a few years ago. It was all malt with a 1.070 gravity and it finished out nice and dry with saison yeast. The yeasts you mentioned are strong fermenters so it should be fine. You might also lower your mash temp to 148-150 for a more fermentable wort. Leave lots of head space for the 3787. It makes a huge krausen. If the yeast blows out the top, the beer may not finish out.

+1 3787 is a beast. Use a blow off hose for sure. I’ve had 5.25 gal batches in 6.5 gal carboy send blow off through the hose and into the bucket of starsan even keeping the ferm temp in the mid 60s.

Good to know about the 3787, as I’m making a Belgian with it next week.

I have done a big Belgian with MO, and I thought it was wonderful, and as it aged, the complexities were nice. I cant remember if I did a 1/2 and 1/2 2-row, and MO or the whole thing. And it was very dark. I do many big IPA’s 1/2 and 1/2 MO/2 row, and i think it is a nice grain bill. Very simple, but very good.

The problem with the blow off tube for this style is you lose the yeast you need to finish out the beer. When my yeast blew out the top, I had very sweet beers that did not finish dry as a Belgian should. That is when I started using two carboys when I use this yeast. I even had 4 gallons of 1.045 table beer blow out of a 6.5 gallon carboy. This was ok for a low gravity blond, but my tripels and quads need all the yeast they can to finish below 1.010.